Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]
  • Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]

Track and field makes strides at last home meet

The BG track and field team hosted the Tom Wright Classic at Perry Field House Friday.

The Falcons swept the top three spots in the 200 and 400 meter runs, and placed first and third in the 60 meter dash. In total, the Falcons won four events, took second in five and finished third in eight more at the meet that included Miami University, Ohio and Wayne State.

“I thought it was a really nice step from last week,” said Head Coach Lou Snelling. “We saw a lot of improvement across the board in a number of event areas.”

Senior Allison Weimer had her best performance of the season on the last home meet of her indoor career. Weimer was more than a full second better than every competitor in the 400 meter dash, which just missed the Mid-American Conference automatic qualifying mark with a time of 57.67. It was a personal best for her just a week after posting a converted time of 57.75 at Michigan’s Simmons-Harvey Invitational.

“I had a really good day [Friday] and exceeded the goal I had for myself coming in,” Weimer said.

Freshman Berrion Berry posted two personal best times in the 60 meter dash, running a 7.94 in the preliminaries and winning the finals with a time of 7.86. It was Berry’s first time running a sub-8.00 60 dash in a BG uniform. Allorian Horne also finished third with a time of 7.97.

In the 200, Horne edged out teammate Felicia Jefferson with a time of 25.83 to take first. Jefferson’s time of 25.84 was good enough for second, followed by Kera Lamotte in third at 26.61.

“I felt like I was positioned well and my teammates were there to run with me,” said Horne. “I still want to improve in both the 60 and the 200 before MAC championships.”

The Falcons also won the 4×400 meter relay as Natalie Sommerville, Jefferson, Brittany Sinclair and Weimer ran a 3:56.97 to beat the second Falcon 4×400 team of Alicia Jefferson, Taylor Rambo, Natasha Greggs and Demetra Taylor across the line by more than three seconds.

“We really have not put together our best relay, yet we have just been putting out two balanced relays so far,” Snelling said. “It will be nice to get to the point where we can put together our best relay and see what time we can put out.”

In the weight throw, sophomore Brooke Pleger was given the weekend off. Kayla Velasquez and Nicolette Johnson stepped up in her place and placed second and third with tosses of 15.69 meters and 15.40 meters, respectively.

“We are starting to see the depth that this program must have and it is nice to see it,” said Snelling.

For the fourth consecutive meet, Taylor improved her personal best in the 60 hurdles. She ran a season best of 9.08 in the preliminaries and then improved to 9.05 in the finals to finish second.

“She is one girl that keeps getting better every meet,” Snelling said. “If she can continue to take those steps in the next few weeks she will put herself in a good position.”

The Falcons showed great improvement this weekend as a whole group and they will look to carry that over into their meet at Akron next weekend.

“This meet gives us some positive momentum,” Snelling said. “It will be interesting to see how we carry over the next two weeks. With what we did today hopefully we see some of the girls move up the standings and set themselves up to qualify for conference.”