November 30, 2023

• Books I’ve Loved Recently
    By Jay Grummel In the fall my TBR (to be read) shifts from Fantasy to Literary Fiction. I’ve become a mood reader in my college years. Something about the coldness of the fall and winter influences the sadness of the books I’m reading. Recently, a few novels I deem to best of my 2023 reads. […]
  • Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]

BGSU women’s basketball gets second loss of the season in defensive struggle against Boilermakers

In what was a defensive struggle as both teams had a tough time scoring in the first half, Purdue opened the game with six straight points until Jillian Halfhill hit a three pointer to cut the lead in half. The teams would trade baskets until they went through a four minute stretch in which they did not score one basket.

Both teams’ struggles from the field continued as baskets didn’t come as often and the score at the half was tied 23-23. Alexis Rodgers led all scorers at the half with 10 points, but the Falcons were only 9 for 32 from the field and 1 for 11 from behind the arch.

In the second half the scoring opened up for both teams but once again the Falcons had trouble scoring and that allowed the Boilermakers to pull away for most of the second half. The Falcons found themselves down by double digits with about 8:12 left in the game.

After a timeout the Falcons picked up the scoring as they fought their way back into the game, but the Falcons found themselves down 37-46 with about 4:37 left in the game.

Halfhill hit a big three pointer to cut the lead to 40-46 with 4:14 left in the game. The Falcons would cut the lead to two points when Jasmine Matthews made a field goal with 1:30 left in the game to make the score 46-48.

The Falcons couldn’t keep the game close and complete the comeback as the Boilermakers started to pull away and forced them to foul late in the game. The Boilermakers would convert their free throws and that put the game out of the reach.

Rodgers led the BG scorers with 16 points while Halfhill recorded a double-double as she scored 15 points and collected 10 rebounds.

The Boilermaker’s defense forced the into contested shots all night long and the Falcons were only 17 for 65 from the field.

“You have to make enough shots to win,” said head coach Jennifer Roos. “We did not make enough shots”

This was only the second loss of the season and they look to get back to their winning ways when they host Saint Francis University on Dec. 29 at 2pm.