Falcons to begin MAC play with home match against Western Michigan

The Bowling Green tennis team is set to begin their MAC play at home against the Western Michigan Broncos.

The Falcons are 1-1 in their past two matches. The Falcons beat Rhode Island 5-2 on March 12, a match that was important for senior Nikki Chiricosta as she is became tied for first place in BG tennis with 178 career victories.

Chiricosta currently has the identical number of career wins, and is tied at the top of both the BG singles and combined career victories lists with her sister Christine.

Also with the help from Katie Brozovich, Nikki moved into a tie for second place in BG tennis with 89 career doubles wins. She is tied in both of those categories with Christine who set the records when she played for BG from 2008 to 2011.

The Falcons as a whole performed well, all seven members of the team picked up at least one victory.

“This was a good match for us today,” said head coach Penny Dean. “Our doubles teams stepped up to get us the initial point, and our freshmen really stepped it up in singles play.

The next day the Falcons took on nationally ranked Gonzaga and fell 7-0 to the Bulldogs. The Falcons played well as all of the doubles matches were closely contested but came up short in all three matches. The singles matches were also closely contested but the Zags found ways to defeat the falcons as they swept all six matches.

“Gonzaga is a very good team,” Dean said. “We competed with them, but they were just a little too strong today.

The Falcons are now set to host Western Michigan in their Mid-American Conference opener this weekend. The Broncos are currently on a three match winning streak and in which they won all three matches soundly.

The Broncos defeated Northern Arizona 6-1, Wright State 7-0, and IUPUI 7-0. Nini Sujashvili stood out as she was perfect in the No. 2 singles match, she defeated her opponent with a 6-0, 6-0 result.

The Falcons will look to improve to 6-4 and 1-0 in the conference with win this weekend over Western Michigan.