Falcon pitchers combine to throw no-hitter at Bucknell

In the second game of a double-header against Bucknell University on Friday, Falcon pitchers Brett Fitzwater and Chris Miller threw the team’s first no-hitter since April 4, 1995.

Fitzwater threw five innings of hitless ball before being relieved by Chris Miller who threw three of his own, after the Russmatt Invitational.

The first game of the double-header was a 7-3 loss for the Falcons, but in the 7-0 victory during the second game, the Falcons compiled 11 hits, during which Brian Bien continued his hot hitting of going 3-5 with three RBIS. Patrick Lancaster, Addison Rospert and Jeremy Shay each had two hits of their own.

The Falcons played a total of nine games in eight days, beginning its road trip with an 11-2 loss March 8 against High Point University in North Carolina. During the game, the Falcons committed five costly errors, which led to five unearned runs. The Falcons then played High Point again in a double-header, which it split Saturday’s against the Panthers.

In the first game of the double-header, Bowling Green pitcher Mike Frank threw seven solid innings allowing four runs on four hits. Despite the solid outing by Frank, the Falcons could not deliver the clutch hit and lost 4-2.

The Falcons had season-high 25 base runners in the second game of the double-header that led them to a 7-4 victory. T.J. Losby and Brandon Howard each had three hits in the victory. Pitcher Andrew Lacinak earned his first win of the season throwing five innings and allowing three runs, two earned, three hits and two strikeouts.

After the series against High Point, the Falcons traveled to Winter Haven, Florida, to play in the Russmatt Invitational. After a rough 11-3 loss against Illinois State University, the Falcons would rally to defeat Yale University 5-4. Falcon’s shortstop Bien would have the go-ahead RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning to score the go-ahead runner Andrew Kubuski.

Pitcher Jason Link and the Falcons defeated the University of Evansville 4-2 this past Wednesday. Link threw four scoreless innings of three hit ball, earning his first victory of the season. Third baseman Greg Basalyga hit his second homerun of the season to left field.

BG then had their double-header split with Bucknell.

The Falcons ended play on Saturday morning with a 14-5 loss against the University of Maine. In face of the defeat, pinch hitter Howard collected a perfect 3-3 ball game, in which he also had three RBIS. Howard was a homerun shy of hitting for the cycle.

Bowling Green will now enter Mid-American Conference play against Eastern Michigan this Tuesday at 3:05 p.m. at Stellar Field.