Studio 14 to change ownership, same location and staff available

The tattoo parlor, Studio 14, recently underwent new ownership and is now called BroadWing Tattoo.

Studio 14 was a tattoo and body-piercing studio located on 125 N Main St. in downtown Bowling Green.

BroadWing Tattoo is now run by former Studio 14 tattoo artist, Tyler Brott in the same location and with the same staff.

After managing Studio 14 for the last year and a half and tattooing for about nine years, Brott said he decided that he wanted to own his own shop.

“I’ve always drawn since I was a little kid. I was always into art; it was almost therapeutic for me,” Brott said. “About a decade ago, I had some guys ask me did I want to try out tattooing and now I can’t imagine doing anything else,” he said.

Barbara Ruland, a member Board of Directors of Downtown BG said she can attest to business closings.

“In an aggregate, individual businesses come and go in downtown but the aggregate numbers have actually been very stable over the last several years, with about 10 percent vacancy,” she said.

With such low vacancy numbers, Brott said he knew he had to take his chance now or never.

The new name “BroadWing Tattoo” originated because it is a type of falcon and ties in well with the University. Although Brott did not attend the University, he was raised in Bowling Green.

Brott said the experience has been great so far.

“No days off yet. It’s been really stressful, but an amazing experience so far,” Brott said.

The differences between being an employee versus an owner vary.

Brott must worry about payments, insurance, finding a name, etc.

“I can’t just worry about art anymore. I have to worry about my employees and making sure the customers have a nice experience,” he said.

There are a few other tattoo shops in Bowling Green, but one thing that sets BroadWing Tattoo aside is that they are a functioning art gallery as well.

The shop is composed of all custom stuff. All the tattoo artists paint and they all draw.

“We are the only custom shop,” Brott said. “We do all the tattoos that the customer wants and allows custom. We don’t trace anything, we draw it on our own.”

University senior Jessica Williams enjoyed the work done by Studio 14 artists, which is why she is a reoccurring customer.

“I consider my body my canvas and I can paint whatever I want on it,” said Williams, who has over five tattoos, some of which came from Studio 14.

After viewing others tattoos from the shop, she decided to go to the shop and loved it. If ever she gets more tattoos in Bowling Green, she will return to the new parlor.

Starting in May, the shop will have an art show every other month. Local artists will be able to have their artwork displayed in the studio. If anyone would like to submit artwork, BroadWing Tattoo has applications for each art show.

“The art shows will have different styles of paintings each month. But all artwork must be approved first,” Brott said.