Softball earns three victories in weekend tournament at Baltimore

The Falcons finished their last regular-season tournament of the year this past weekend in Baltimore.

They come back to BG with a record of 9-14-1, earning 3 wins during the weekend.

The team, which was struggling on offense, turned it around and scored a total of 20 runs in 4 games.

The first two wins were a sweep against Mount St. Marys University. The first of the two recorded a 1-0 score, with the only run coming from a RBI single by senior captain Erika Stratton in the top of the first inning.

The second game was an offensive explosion and the Falcons tied their season high in runs with a 9-5 victory to end the first day. Six different players had at least one hit in the game.

Freshman Amanda Durham and seniors Katie Yoho and Stratton led the game offensively for the team. Durham was three-for-four at the plate and recorded two RBI’s while Yoho went two-for-four with one RBI. Stratton would ultimately give the Falcons the win, going three-for-four and hitting a three-run homer in the sixth to give the Falcons a 9-5 lead.

The next day the team split the games 1-1 with a loss to Sacred Heart and a win against St. Peters University.

The win against St. Peters came with an early dominant performance scoring eight runs after only two innings to give the Falcons a 8-0 lead.

The scoring was again lead by seniors Stratton and Yoho. Yoho had four RBI’s and Stratton had two RBI’s on top of a two-run homer in the first inning. Freshman Trista Mokienko also had a home run in the first inning, giving the Falcons a commanding 4-0 lead.

Yoho hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the second that extended the lead to 7-0. The team would go on to score two more in the bottom of the sixth to earn a 9-1 win.

The only loss of the weekend came against Sacred Heart with a score of 1-3.

The Falcons will look to carry this offense as they start their home games against MAC opponent Western Michigan next week.