November 16, 2023

• Found Family Books for the Holidays
    The holidays are quickly approaching and for some of us that means seeing our family. However, family has a loose definition. It could mean blood or who you were raised with. It could also mean people you’ve found during your life journey. Either way, the holidays are meant for spending quality time with those you […]
  • Books I Started but Never Finished
    My biggest book insecurity is not finishing a book. Even if I don’t care for the story I will usually try to still finish it. I’ve been known to force myself into finishing books I absolutely hate. I’m afraid of wasting time, but in my head if I’ve already read more than halfway it would […]

Baseball loses weekend series against Georgia Tech

The Falcons were unable to pick up a victory in the three games series played against Georgia Tech this past weekend.

Bowling Green is now 2-7 on the season and will now play a three game series against High Point University this upcoming weekend.

Despite the Falcons not being able to pick up a victory this weekend, they still had outstanding performances from multiple players. First, was Falcons shortstop Brian Bien who had three hits of his own in the first game of the series as Bowling Green lost 3-2. Cody Apthorpe fell to 1-2 on the season and was tagged with the loss. Apthorpe threw six innings and allowed three earned runs on seven hits while striking out two Yellow Jackets.

Georgia Tech’s three runs came in the bottom of the third inning when Apthorpe walked in a run with the bases loaded and nobody out. Georgia Tech’s Matt Gonzalez had a two run RBI single up the middle to give the Yellow Jackets a 3-2, which they would maintain the rest of the game.

Bowling Green fell in Saturday’s matinee to Georgia Tech 8-3. The Falcons would jump on the scoreboard right away thanks to Jeremy Shay’s two-run homerun in the first inning. Shay is now batting .303 on the season and leads the team with seven RBIS.

Pitcher Mike Frank dropped his first decision of the year while throwing four innings allowing four earned runs on four hits and two strikeouts. Frank now has a 2.08 era with 13 innings pitched, and a team high 10 strikeouts during his three starts this season. The Falcons also had three players with two hits including Patrick Lancaster, Greg Basalyga, and Shay.

The Falcons would drop the last game of the series in Georgia 8-5 to the Yellow Jackets. Andrew Lacinak started his third game of the year only lasting two and a third innings pitched while allowing six runs, in which five were earned on three hits, and five walks. Ethan McKenney threw two scoreless innings in relief, keeping the Falcons within distance. McKenney has now thrown eight scoreless innings in relief this season, including the Falcons’ lone save, during his six appearances this season

Although Bowling Green never led during the game, Lancaster had another two hits, giving him six for the series. Lancaster, who had a phenomenal series against Georgia Tech, now leads the Falcons with three stolen bases, and a .405 batting average.

Despite being on a five-game losing streak, the Falcons only have a run differential of nine on the season. They will now travel to North Carolina to face off against High Point University who carries a record of 7-5.