Softball team drops 5 games, wins 2 during spring break

The Falcons kicked off their spring break by going to Orlando, Fla. for the UCF Knights Spring Fling.

BG started games early Friday morning against Colgate and Troy. Pitchers Jamie Kertes and Braiden Dillow pitched well in both games combining for four runs allowed between the two games. However, the offense got shut out in both games while producing four hits and seven base runners.

Bowling Green followed up on Saturday with two games against Western Carolina and Pennsylvania.

The Falcons carried over their struggles at the plate, putting together two hits against Western Carolina.

But, under the lights, Bowling Green finally broke out of its slump as nine runs crossed the plate on eleven hits, gathering multi-hit games from senior captains Erika Stratton and Katie Yoho, as well as a trio of freshmen including Amanda Durham, Chelsea Raker and Trista Mokienko.

Kertes put together another strong performance in the circle, earning her third win of the season. She threw a complete game allowing just one earned run while notching six strikeouts.

On the final day of games, Bowling Green again struggled at the plate getting shutout for the fourth time in five games.

The Falcons fell to host school Central Florida, 2-0, registering one hit for the game and leaving six on base.

Kertes and Dillow combined for six innings of two runs, but the lack offense served Kertes her eighth loss of the season.

The team finished the invitational with one win and a 5-12-1 overall record for the season.

With a quick turnaround, the Falcons traveled to Jacksonville to play a doubleheader against North Florida on Tuesday.

Lack of offense was again the story of game one as the Falcons were shutout again, 4-0.

Kertes allowed four runs, but none of them were earned, as three errors in the field cost Bowling Green the game.

The second game of the doubleheader was a different story as the Falcons scored two runs on six hits and edged out a hard fought game, 2-1.

The defense again committed another error, but North Florida committed two of their own.

This allowed Dillow to get her third win of the season, pitching six and a third innings allowing one unearned run and then handing the ball to Kertes for the final two outs as she notched her second save of the season.

As spring break came to a close, a stagnant offense, and poor defensive play appeared to be cause for concern as the Falcons near the midpoint of the season. These issues led to the Falcon softball team finishing with two wins and five losses.

The ladies will look to get back on track in Ann Arbor with a single game against the University of Michigan on Tuesday.

The Wolverines will enter the game with a 19-6 record, having won their last five games, while Bowling Green will enter with a 6-13-1 record, losing five of their last seven games.

Kertes and Dillow are both supporting sub-3 earned run averages, but the offense only has two hitters above .300, so the Falcons will need to see some production at the plate in order to top the number two team in the Big 10.