BG earns 11 qualifying marks in first split meet

The Bowling Green Falcons performed in the first split meet of the season, gaining three automatic qualifying marks in the process.

Andrea Alt, Jasmine Redman and Brittany Sinclair hit automarks, giving the Falcons more automarks to improve their spot for the Mid-American Conference outdoor championships.

The separate meets took place in Lexington, Ky. and Walnut, Calif. Alt, Redman, and Jeanette Pettigrew competed at the Mt. SAC Relays, while the rest of the team performed in the Bluegrass Classic.

Alt started it off for the Falcons, hitting the first automark in the 3,000 steeplechase event. She ran a 10:57.52, coming within nine seconds of her personal best which was at the MAC championships last year.

Pettigrew followed up by breaking her own record in the 200 meter with a time of 23.80, surpassing her previous time of 23.88. With this time she finished 12th out of 57 runners, including third in her heat.

Pettigrew also set a new personal best in the 100 meter, finishing with a time of 11.84 seconds coming in 26th place out of 71 opponents.

On the last day of SAC Relays, Redman achieved the second automark for the Falcons. She finished with a time of 17:01.85, coming in 23rd.

The remainder of the events took place at the Bluegrass Classic.

In the hammer throw, Brooke Pleger continued to remain undefeated as she won with a distance of 211-feet-5. She also set a facility record with the throw, making this the second week in a row she has accomplished that.

Later in the meeting, Alicia Arnold set a new personal best in the 100 meter with a time of 12.14 seconds. The time placed her in 12th place as well as seventh in BG’s history of the event.

Freshman Brianna Johnson also set new personal bests as well. In the 100 meter, she finished within the top 20 with a time of 25.21 seconds. She clocked in at 12.33 in the 200 meter, finishing in 18th place.

Brittany Sinclair got the last qualifying mark for the Falcons, hitting a time of 55.92 seconds. The time was only a few seconds short of her personal best and marked the 11th automark for BG so far this season. The team’s total automarks for the season is three more than the Falcons had in 2013.

The Falcons’ closed out the meet in the discus with Kori Reiser placing 10th with a throw of 147-8 feet.

The Falcons will prepare for their next split meet in the three-day Gina Relays. The event will be hosted by Hillsdale College starting on April 25. The other half of the team will be at the two-day Ashland Alumni Open starting on Friday, April 26.