Falcons earn comeback win with 10 late runs, win series against Kent State

The Falcon baseball team rallied to win Sunday to take the weekend series against Kent State at Steller Field.

The Falcons scored five runs in the seventh and eighth innings to come from behind to defeat the Golden Flashes 12-5 on Sunday afternoon after being down 5-2 late in the game.

In the weekend series finale, the Falcons were able to overcome five errors to defeat the Golden Flashes and win the series.

“Give our guys credit,” BG coach Danny Schmitz said. “They found a way to win and that’s what good teams do.”

The Falcons scored two runs in the first inning off an RBI triple from Jake Thomas and an RBI single from T.J. Losby.

Kent State scored five runs to take the lead into the seventh before the Falcons scored ten runs to give them the lead for good.

Logan Walker and Jesse Rait each had an RBI in the seventh inning to tie the game, until Jeremy Shay hit a two run RBI single to give the Falcons the lead.

“The infield was in so I was just looking for something to drive to put over the infield and get the runners in,” Shay, Falcon catcher, said.

Rait had a two run RBI single with the bases loaded in the eighth inning, while Thomas and Losby added more insurance runs for the Falcons later in the inning.

Falcon relief pitcher Ben Singer got the win after pitching three innings and allowing no hits and no runs.

“It just feels good to come into the game and get the job done to give the team the win,” Singer said. “When we are able to get a big lead going into the ninth, it takes a lot of pressure off and it’s nice knowing you have a bigger cushion.”

In Friday’s series opener, BG lost to Kent State 7-5 after an hour delayed start due to rain. Falcon starting pitcher Mike Frank pitched 7.2 innings, however he got the loss after giving up seven earned runs.

The Falcons received two hits and two RBIs from first baseman Shay, T.J. Losby, Patrick Lancaster and Trey Keegan also had RBIs in the Falcon loss.

In Saturday’s game, BG scored six runs in the fifth inning to beat Kent State 8-6. Shay, Lancaster and Jake Thomas had RBIs in the fifth inning.

Falcon shortstop Brian Bien was 4-for-4 with an RBI in the win.

With the win, BG improves to 19-20 overall and 10-8 in Mid-American Conference play. Kent State falls to 28-15 overall and 12-6 in MAC play.

The Falcons will face Eastern Michigan Wednesday night in a road game.