University tennis player Nikki Chiricosta is the first player in school history to win MAC Player of the Year, winningest play in school history in singles wins and career victories

Senior Nikki Chiricosta has always had one goal since she became a tennis player, and that is to become the best player she can be.

Her teammates and coaches all knew she would be a successful player and teammate because she is a very hard worker and gives 100 percent during every match.

Head coach Penny Dean saw how Chiricosta progressed over her years as a Falcon because of her efforts.

“She learned the importance of getting team wins, not individually,” Dean said. “That helped her along with the team.”

All her hard work paid off when she was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Year. She was the first player in Bowling Green tennis history to be given that award.

“I just have that ‘never quit’ mentality,” Chiricosta said. “Coach called me crying when she heard that I had won. I am always recognized for hard work and the effort that I give because I always put in extra effort and work.” Chiricosta became a tennis player because just about everyone in her family is a tennis player, including her sister Christine Chiricosta who was a successful tennis player for Bowling Green.

“It is the highest honor you could get in your sport,” Dean said,

“It is well deserved and a huge reward and Chiricosta was willing to step outside her comfort zone to help her game and this was the most exciting moment of the year.”

Chiricosta also acknowledges the hard work that she puts into her play and why she became the player that she did.

“You get better by just playing,” she said. “You have to get mentally strong. This game is 90 percent mental because you have to outsmart your opponent.”

Coach Penny Dean also acknowledges the work and effort that Chiricosta puts into improving her game.

“She improved her serve because she worked very hard on that” Dean said. “Going out and practicing on that and she was still able to improve her game in her senior year which is incredible.”

Chiricosta’s progression along the years is one of the main reasons why she was named co-captain alongside Emily Reuland.

“[Chiricosta] is a very good leader,” Dean said. “She helped spread that culture, she was one of those outstanding players who could lead the team by example and she is very aggressive.”

Reuland believes that Chiricosta was deserving of being named a captain.

“She was a great teammate to have,” Reuland said. “You could look up to her because you could count on her to give her all, she ascends the level of competition because she gives nothing but 100 percent effort every time she steps on the court.”

Earlier in the year Chiricosta became the winningest player in the school’s history when she broke the record for most career victories, which was a mark that was previously held by her sister Christine.

“My sister was the first one to call me when I broke the record,” Chiricosta said. “We both knew that there it was a good chance that it was going to happen coming into the year.”

Chiricosta also finished her senior year with 41 wins, which was the most on the team.

“My year went very well. I didn’t have the best spring but I did do well in the MAC,” Chiricosta said. “As far as the team goes I think we had a very good season.”

Chiricosta’s hard working and never-give-up mentality is a reason why she became one of the best players in BG history as she finishes her career with 190 wins with only 85 losses.

“She wins a lot of her matches,” Reuland said. “She fights harder than a lot of people she plays against.”