Students get active for a cause

Wounded+Warriors
Wounded Warriors

Adding to the many happenings to honor those who have served our country, University senior and group exercise instructor Kasie Durkit has created another event to honor veterans from 9/11 and after.

“I have several service members in my family and I just wanted to hold an event that would not only contribute to veterans’ well-being but also bring the community together,” she said.

Durkit and friends from the Rec center hosted “Workout for a Warrior” to raise money for the Wounded Warrior project to serve veterans.

Friday, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in Olscamp 101, Durkit and the other Rec center group exercise instructors hosted a workout session composed of four components, 20 minutes each: cardio, strength, zumba and yoga.

Whitney Wolff, University sophomore and BodyPump instructor for the Rec center, taught the 20-minute body weight strengthening portion.

Wolff has been an exercise instructor since spring 2013. She got to know Durkit well during the summer when they taught a boot camp together, so she was excited when she was presented with the idea.

The event cost was $5 or a donation.

“Most people have been giving $10-$20, which is even better,” said Reese Timbrook.

At the event, there were students at the table to sign in participants, collect money and pass out small souvenirs, such as pins and magnets.

Inside Olscamp 101, there was a big stage in the front where the instructors were, and the open space held about 50+ people including students, faculty and the Bowling Green community.