Social networkings cross the line of privacy

While it’s already hard enough to dodge the uncomfortable question about why you’re still single, apparently Facebook wants to make it much harder to avoid the dreading question.

Facebook has reached a whole new level of prying into people’s personal lives following its new feature of the “ask” button, which allows users, with one click, to question someone’s relationship status.

The “ask” button also allows users to ask other users questions that range from your favorite television shows to the location of your hometown.

Users who decided to not include their relationship status in their profile will be presented with the “ask” button, giving friends an opportunity to send a message.

Sure, let’s remind those who are single that yes, you are still single.

Although it’s still your choice whether you decide to actually share whether you’re single or in a relationship to meddling users, this new feature reinforces the idea that social networking sites ask for too much information.

Of course, I agree that social networking sites are great for staying connected with others, but you should always be aware about how much personal information you share.

Social networking sites encourage users to share a certain amount of personal information with other users.

An estimated 13 million U.S. Facebook users are over-sharing personal information with other users, according to a 2012 Consumer Report.

Yes, you’ve read that right. 13 million people are giving out valuable information.

How could you blame them? Sure, you should understand what should and should not be shared, but, in today’s digital world, it’s easy to overlook.

Where do you live? Where do you work? Who are you dating? What’s on your mind?

These are just a few of the many intrusive questions Facebook and other social networking sites encourage users to share.

Now, let’s make it clear: I do not have a personal vendetta with Facebook or any social networking sites for that matter, but I do believe it’s time they stop urging users to freely give up personal information.

Privacy is important; it allows you to restrict others from accessing your most personal information.

Ultimately, it should be your decision of what parts of yourself you would like to share with others.

It’s important to stop and think who will be seeing what you are sharing.

You should not be encouraged or questioned on what you choose to keep private or make public.

If I choose not to provide where I’m living, who I’m dating, where I’m going to school, etc., I shouldn’t be nagged by nosy users through the “ask” button.

Respond to Taylor at