Dance Marathon continues funding efforts, prepares for main event in April

The 32-hour event for Dance Marathon, now called Ziggython, is approaching, with around 90 registered dancers already at their fundraising mark.

Students who are running the event are putting the finishing touches on specific details and some fundraisers are fighting to make the minimum amount of $100.

Planners and participants are getting used to a venue change and adapting to the Perry Field House instead of the Rec Center.

Ziggython consists of all students and people who are fundraising dancing for 32 hours straight to raise money for Toledo’s Mercy Children’s Hospital, said senior Sarah Hauck.

Hauck is on the steering committee for Dance Marathon and is the event management chair.

“Everything is getting finalized right now for Ziggython. Contracts like food, entertainment contracts, venue contracts and ordering supplies,” Hauck said. “Everything is coming together very nicely.”

To fundraise, Hauck and her friends have gone door to door, posted on social media sites, and even auctioned off dates with themselves.

“My core committee generated around $300 from that between four people,” Hauck said.

Senior Holly Hemminger, assistant director of Internal Affairs for Dance Marathon, fundraises by writing personal letters.

In the letter, she explains what she will be doing and what the money raised is going towards, in hopes of having people donate.

“I’ve seen a lot of influx of money brought in through personal letters,” Hemminger said.

The number one fundraiser, Camille Colletti, raised her money by sending emails to people who helped her last year.

Colletti raised around $5,000 last year and wanted to challenge herself to make more.

According to the Ziggython fundraising page, Colletti is at $2,644.

“My sorority helped me become involved in biking and I knew once I did it, that I would want to keep doing it,” Colletti said.

For Colletti, raising money just gets more and more exciting every year.

Senior Greg Cherry, entertainment chair for Dance Marathon, is also fundraising.

Cherry has raised his money by emailing and sending letters directly to his family and alumni who he has been involved with.

“The list of possibilities for people to ask is endless if you really give yourself time to think about it,” Cherry said.

Morale Captain Baylee Leonhardt has exceeded her fundraising goal of $1,100 by raising $1,155.

Leonhardt said she raised all of her money through social networking by posting videos on her Facebook.

“I was really nervous that I wouldn’t make $1,000, but I raised it in a week and a half,” Leonhardt said. “My next goal is $2,000.”

There is still time before Ziggython for people to raise money and they will keep trying.

Ziggython is hosted at the Perry Field House and starts April 5 at 10 a.m. and goes until April 6 at 6 p.m.

Registration cutoff is April 6 at 6 a.m. and donation cutoff is April 6 at 11:45 p.m.

“To me, Ziggython is a bunch of crazy college kids coming together because they have a similar passion and a similar drive to do something bigger than themselves,” Hemminger said. “It gives them a chance to be a part of something bigger than themselves and that’s raising money for Mercy Children’s Hospital.”