Hockey loses Friday, Saturday to Huskies

BG hockey lost to the Michigan Tech Huskies on Friday and Saturday night at BG.

On Friday night, BG lost 5-2. The Falcons received goals from Brent Tate and Ralfs Freibergs, while goaltenders Tomas Sholl and Tommy Burke combined for 23 saves on the night.

The Michigan Tech Huskies scored the first four goals of the game, scoring a power-play goal and three full strength goals during the first and second period. Tate’s ninth goal of the season gave BG their first goal of the game, however Michigan Tech scored again before the end of the second period.

BG defenseman Ralfs Freibergs scored the only goal in the third period with a power-play goal at the 18:13 mark.

“I’m very disappointed. To play that poorly at home at this time of the year, there’s no excuse for that,” said BG head coach Chris Bergeron.

On Saturday night, BG lost 5-4 in overtime. Goaltender Burke made 27 saves on the night. BG received goals from forwards Mark Cooper, Kevin Dufour, and a career-best two goals from Matt Pohlkamp. It was the first time Pohlkamp scored two goals in a game, and was his first multi-point game in his Falcon career.

Michigan Tech went 2-for-7 on the power play, including the game-winning goal in overtime. Meanwhile, the Falcons went 0-for-6 on the power play for the night.

Ben Murphy’s team leading 13th goal opened up the scoring for the Falcons. Kevin Dufour scored later in the first period to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead. In the second period, Pohlkamp’s first goal on the night gave the Falcons a 3-1 advantage.

Michigan Tech scored the next two goals to tie the game at 3-3 with 18 minutes remaining in regulation. However, the Falcons took the lead again nine seconds later with Pohlkamp’s second goal of the game. The Huskies were able to score the final two goals of the game, including the game-winning goal 1:22 into overtime. The game saw two ties and two lead changes.

“They were working harder than us,” said Pohlkamp. “They were forechecking, they were moving their feet and they were creating scoring chances. We didn’t play good enough defense to stop a couple of goals.”

The loss moves BG’s record to 13-12-5 and 10-9-3 in the WCHA. The win moves Michigan Tech’s record to 10-14-6 overall and a 8-8-4 record in conference play.

The Falcons will face the Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves on Feb. 14-15 in Anchorage, Alaska. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7:07 p.m. [Alaska time] on both nights.