Hockey ties Friday, loses Saturday

Ben Murphy protects the puck against a defender and looks to make a play in a game earlier this season at the BG Ice Arena.

The Falcon hockey team earned one point in Friday’s 2-2 tie at Alaska-Anchorage; however, BG fell out of fourth place in the WCHA due to Saturday’s 5-2 loss.

Only the top four teams are guaranteed a home playoff game in the first round of the WCHA tournament.

On Friday night, goaltender Tommy Burke made 30 saves, while forwards Kevin Dufour and Camden Wojtala scored for the Falcons.

The Falcons held a 2-0 lead the majority of Friday night’s game, however the Seawolves scored two goals during the final 14 minutes of regulation to force overtime. The Falcons had four shots on goal in overtime, but eventually the game ended in a 2-2 tie.

“It’s disappointing to lose the lead, but they came at us hard and they’re a good team,” BG head coach Chris Bergeron said. “We made some mistakes on their goals, but give them credit because they took advantage of their opportunities.”

In Saturday night’s contest, it was another third period collapse that prevented the Falcons from winning. The Falcons held a 2-1 lead in the third period; however, the Seawolves scored three unanswered goals to eventually beat the Falcons 5-2.

“The third period cost us the game,” Bergeron said. “We didn’t start the third period well with the power play and, unfortunately, it carried on through the rest of the period.”

BG received goals from defensemen Marcus Perrier and Mike Sullivan in Saturday’s game. Tommy Burke made 17 saves in the loss.

“It’s a huge loss in terms of the standings, but there’s nothing we can do about it now,” Bergeron said. “All we can do is prepare for our next two games at Northern and that’s what we’ll do.”

Meanwhile in Sochi, Russia BG defenseman Ralfs Freibergs recorded an assist during his Olympic debut Saturday in Team Latvia’s 5-3 loss to Sweden.

Freibergs finished the game with seven shifts, totaling 4:56 on ice time. He was not on the ice for any of Sweden’s goals.

Freibergs dressed but did not play in Team Latvia’s first two games, a 1-0 loss to Switzerland and a 4-2 loss to the Czech Republic.

Team Latvia is 0-3 in the preliminary round and will play Tuesday in a qualification game.

The four qualification winners will advance to the quarter-finals on Wednesday.

The Falcons will return to the BGSU Ice Arena Friday to face the U.S. National Development Team in an exhibition game. The puck will drop at 7:07 p.m.