Job fair offers employment opportunities

Students gathered at the Perry Field House to participate in the Spring 2014 Expo Job & Internship Fair, where they were able to network with professionals in their field and collect more information on potential internships and careers.

This was the largest spring expo the University has had, with nearly 185 employers present to talk with students, said Jeffery Jackson, director of the Career Center.

He said getting employers to come and network with the students is not a hard sell because the employers save money and enjoy interacting with University students.

“They like our students because there is no sense of entitlement like there may be at other schools,” Jackson said. “Our students are approachable, professional and they enjoy the face to face interaction with employers.”

Sales Manager of Cox TV Rep Firms Kay Cee Fracassa said she was amazed at how much students prepared for the fair.

“I’m impressed with their professionalism and how much they already know about our company,” she said. “You can tell they’ve done their research and their general enthusiasm is great to see.”

Cox TV Rep Firms was one among the many employers present recruiting for full-time positions. Fracassa said there are many opportunities present in the firm, as their locations span all across the U.S.

Fracassa said the firm was recruiting students majoring in marketing, communications and business, but said there were always possibilities in other majors as well.

Cedar Point Full Service Resort was also present at the fair, but had openings for internships, full-time positions and seasonal jobs.

Dave Huff, area manager of park services, said Cedar Point had positions that related to majors all across the board including human resources, finance and security.

“We’ve had really good interaction [with the students] today. They’re enthusiastic and we like that when being approached,” he said.

Some students who attended enjoyed the opportunity to interact with employers.

Sophomore and communications major Alex Partyka said he enjoyed the networking with all the potential employers.

“I received a lot of positive feedback like personal information to email people about setting up interviews, or just to ask more questions in the future,” he said.

Partyka also said he took advantage of the different ways the Career Center encouraged students to prepare for the expo, such as resume critiquing and how to dress professionally.

Sophomore and marketing major Jane Verdi said she received positive feedback as well, specifically from Quicken Loans.

“They put on a good presentation and were very professional,” she said. “I was nervous at first but after talking to them I felt more confident.”

Verdi said she was encouraged to come to the fair when a class instructor gave a presentation on how important networking with professionals is to gaining a better experience.

In preparation, the Career Center hosted a variety of sessions to help students better prepare for speaking with professionals and inquiring about job opportunities. Among the sessions were resume critique days, mock interviews and expo prep day.

Jackson said he encourages students to look outside of their desired companies at the fair and talk with employers they hadn’t previously considered.

“It’s impressive when students plan out who they will talk to and do research about the companies, or positions being offered,” he said. “It’s also important to branch out and look into companies you didn’t think about before.”

Some students will have the opportunity to continue their networking at Spring Expo Interview Day, as well as the Summer Job Fair in March.