High school students explore University music offerings

High school students got a chance to discover music education at the University Monday.

Music Discovery Day is dedicated to students who are prospective music majors or minors and are interested in coming to the University to major or minor in that field. The event was held at the Moore Musical Arts Center.

The event has been going on for about 10 years and is not just for potential music majors or minors. There are people who just love music that attended.

Wapakoneta High School student Courtney Woolum wants to be a criminal justice major but attended to enjoy the music.

“There are about 150 students here, but with guests it’s way over 300 people participating,” said Amanda Long, Coordinator of Music Admissions.

Music Discovery day consists of special sessions including workshops, informational meetings with music department faculty members and a small concert at the end of the day, Long said.

Students had a chance to meet with instructors from the woodwind, string, jazz and brass/percussion sections. Students also had an opportunity to take music history and string technique classes. Students could also watch the rehearsal of both the a cappella choir, directed by Mark Munson and the Bowling Green Philharmonia, directed by Emily Freeman Brown.

Long has been organizing Music Discovery Day since 2012. There are about 300 students that show up every year with guests.

Delaney Smith, a high school student of Evergreen High School in Metamora, Ohio, attended Music Discovery Day and loved everything about it.

Once accepted into the College of Musical Arts, students have a chance of performing with the concert band or in trios, quartets or large ensembles.

“I liked everything about Music Discovery Day. I like the curriculum and the faculty,” said Erin Engle, a student of Wapakoneta High School. “It’s also closer and a lot more affordable.”