Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• Women in Horror for Halloween
    It’s that time of year again where the weather is starting to cool down and the Halloween decorations are being put out. For me once it hits end of September my TBR becomes nothing, but horror and thriller novels. As a big mood reader the seasons and holidays determine what I want to read next. […]
  • My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]

Team morale rises after three straight MAC wins

The Bowling Green football team is in a position that is night and day from where it was earlier in the season.

The Falcons have won three games in a row in Mid-American Conference play making their embarrassing week one loss to Western Kentucky seems like a distant memory.

“We were trying to throw the Western Kentucky game out and all the bad feelings we had,” said Jude Adjei-Barimah, redshirt senior defensive back. “The only way we could have done that is to go out, win more ball games and play well. Now that we have done that, it has helped the team morale.”

As the team’s morale lifted so has its play, especially the play of the defense. In the past six quarters, they have given up 20 points: seven in the second half against Buffalo and 13 against Ohio University.

The team’s confidence doesn’t change what happens on the field, head coach Dino Babers said.

“The confidence helps going in but once the ball is snapped you still have the same problems you have in any football game,” he said. “Western Michigan may give us more problems because they have the ability to run and throw the ball.”

The Broncos have the ability to run and pass the ball effectively, as they are not ranked less than fifth in any offensive category in the MAC. They are actually ranked third in total offense and third in rushing offense.

“They have two of probably the best wide outs I’ve seen in the conference this year,” said Adjei-barimah. “Their quarterback can make plays with his feet and they do a good job of opening up holes for the running back.”

Broncos true freshman running back Jarvion Franklin has accumulated 682 yards rushing this year and 12 touchdowns in their five games this year. Along with that, he has averaged 136.4 yards per game and 5.8 yards per carry.

Their two leading receivers have averaged 99 and 97 yards receiving per game respectively.

“I think they have an outstanding set of receivers and maybe the third best tail back we have seen this year,” Babers said.

The defense knows they have a tough challenge to prepare for, Adjei-Barimah said.

Babers said the defense has began to find what really matters and what doesn’t.

“They’ve really gelled they aren’t fighting over the things that don’t matter anymore,” Babers said. “What matters is running to the football, tackling in space and creating turnovers.”

No matter what it is, the defense and the Falcons are right where they want to be: undefeated in the MAC heading into the second-half stretch of the season.

“When you’ve won the last three games it kind of clears the air of some of the other things that have been said out there,” Babers said.