Campus jobs enhance college experiences

There are a variety of experiences that one has throughout his or her college career to enhance this phase of life and make it one to remember, whether it is just living up dorm life or becoming involved with organizations on campus. These are all vital aspects to making the University feel like a home away from home. However, another experience that has enhanced my time at the University is having a campus job at BGSU Postal Services.

I started working at the post office two years ago as a sophomore. I regretted not having a job my freshman year, so I decided that I would try to take advantage of the helpful employment resources available to me and use WorkNet to get a job during my second year on my own. I wanted to be able to live on my own and still have an income through my own job, so I figured why not? I was bound and determined to find a job, so I applied for as many jobs that I qualified for and one of those jobs happened to be the campus post office. It seemed like an easy job, so I went ahead and posted my resume to the job opening. Just like that, I received a phone call from my future boss a few days later and I was hired right on the spot after a brief phone interview.

Just like anyone, I was a little nervous as I walked across campus from my dorm at Founders to the post office on that first day. I hoped that I wouldn’t screw up or lose anyone’s mail. Everyone greeted me very warmly as soon as I walked in and I immediately felt welcomed at my new job. My boss and the other people I worked with were also very helpful with getting me adjusted to my new job through successful on-the-job training that I got paid for as well. They were all very understanding of the fact that I was a new employee who was still learning the ropes, and I was very grateful for how much they accepted me and made me feel part of the “post office family.”

Because of my job at the post office, I have had a chance to work with some amazing people and get to know the secretaries across campus. There are secretaries on the route who I will just stand and talk with for awhile. Whenever I am having a bad day, seeing those secretaries on the route always puts a smile on my face. The fact that I can serve people across campus through my job also makes me feel like I am helping to brighten people’s days, even if it’s just from dropping off someone’s weekly issue of People Magazine.

Senior Natasha Ingersoll is also one of many students who find various benefits with having a job on campus. Ingersoll is working at the bookstore this summer and has been working there for over a year.

“During the summer it’s kind of slow but during the year, it’s pretty busy,” Ingersoll said. “I like it better duirng the school year because there’s someone else here that I can talk to.”

Even though there is less action at the bookstore in the summertime, Ingersoll still interacts with customers at her job and being there in general.

“I talk to a lot of customers,” Ingersoll said. “I love doing that.”

Ingersoll also said that she has had the opportunity to make some life-long friends because of her campus job.

“It’s been a great experience to meet people and learn more about campus,” Ingersoll said.

With all this said, I highly encourage all students to take advantage of getting a job on campus. You will get to experience the campus in a whole new light and form some great relationships while also getting paid to support yourself away from your parents. Hey, what college kid doesn’t want a fun way to get involved and serve others on campus while getting paid and lessening their chance of becoming a “broke college kid”?

Respond to Brittany at