BG golf teams to continue improvement

The Bowling Green women’s golf team went to Rochester, Michigan this weekend for Oakland University’s Golden Grizzlies Invitational at the Katke-Cousins Golf Course.

The Falcons have been rolling along lately as they earned a third straight third place finish. The Falcons as a team had a combined score of 626 [+50].

The Falcons were led by seniors Shelby Wilson and Patricia Holt. Wilson scored two rounds of 77 [+5] and that gave her a score of 154 [+10], enough for a tie for fourth-place. Holt scored rounds of 77 [+5] and 79 [+7] to give her a combined score of 156 [+12] which was good for seventh-place.

Junior Hannah Lewis started out the event by scoring a first round of 86 [+14] but in the second round shot very well as she scored 72 par and that gave her an overall score of 158 [+14] and vaulted her into 13th place overall.

Head coach Stephanie Young was once again proud of her team’s performance at the event.

“We saw a lot of improvement today overall and made up a little bit of ground, but it wasn’t enough to catch the teams ahead of us. It is a solid top-three finish on a challenging golf course,” Young said. “It was great to see a huge comeback from Hannah, who led us with six birdies and an even par round. The team will get back to work and get ready for Cincinnati next week.”

Ohio won the team championship, as they finished with a score of 618 [+42], while host Oakland finished in second with a team score of 624 [+48].

The Falcons’ next event will be at Bearcat Classic hosted by the University of Cincinnati on Oct. 6-7 at the TPC River’s Bend Golf Course in Maineville, Ohio.

The Bowling Green men’s golf team participated at the Badger Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The Falcons finished for a tie for ninth-place overall with a combine team score of 916 [+52].

Sophomore Jose Narro scored rounds of 77 [+5], 71 [-1] and 76 [+4] to give him an overall score of 224 [+8] which was good for 21st place. Ryan Triller scored rounds of 73 [+1], 78[+6] and 74 [+2] to give him an overall score 225 [+9] which was good for 28th place.

Head coach Kevin Farrell was pleased with his team’s efforts during the event.

“We played pretty good considering the cold and windy weather conditions today,” Farrell said. “Jose and Brett struggled to make putts all day long, but Ryan [Triller], Holden [Pahr] and Eli [Stacy] all shot lower today than they did yesterday. Overall we finished the tournament on a high note.”

Sam Houston State got the team win with a tournament score of 871 [+7].

The Falcons’ next event will be at the Wolfpack Intercollegiate hosted by N.C. State University at the Lonnie Poole Golf Course in Raleigh, N.C. on Oct. 6-7.