Gas leak shuts down Panda Express and Chickendipity temporarily

A gas leak Monday forced Chickendipity and Panda Express in the Union to shut down temporarily.

According to University Communications Director David Keilmeyer, the leak was located in a sorority house behind the Union and was possibly the result of a gas line that was damaged during demolition.

Keilmeyer said the leak occurred at roughly 1:30 p.m., with affected shops in the Union reopening at roughly 4:30 p.m.

He said the incident was “relatively short-term and minor.”

Michael Paulus, director of dining services, said the restaurants were shut down due to their use of gas appliances.

“We react as best in any situation,” Paulus said in an email. “Health and safety first.”