Falcon golf teams have varied performances

The Bowling Green men’s and women’s golf teams were in action this past Sunday through Tuesday.

The men’s golf team participated in the Rees Jones Intercollegiate on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at the Jones Signature Course at the Haig Point Golf Club in Daufuskie Island, S.C.

It wasn’t the best event for the Falcons as they struggled overall as a team, posting a score of 314[+26] on the final day of the tournament and an overall team score of 937[+73] for the entire tournament. That resulted in an 11th place overall finish for the Falcons.

Kevin Farrell said his team struggled throughout the tournament but knows that they can bounce back.

“As a team we did not play well at all for the entire tournament,” Farrell said. “We had a few good rounds, but have got to find a way to have our entire team put together some solid rounds. Consistency for us has got to improve across the board. We will regroup and come out better prepared to play next week at the Badger Invitational.”

The Falcons’ top scorer was sophomore Jose Narro. Narro posted scores of 77, 72 and 79 to finish with a combined tournament score of 228 [+12]. Those rounds also included nine birdies from Narro.

Kennesaw State won the team championship with a combined team score of 871 [+7].

The Bowling Green women’s golf team participated in the Cardinal Classic on Monday and Tuesday in Yorktown, Ind.

The Falcons turned in a solid performance as they finished in third place overall in the entire tournament, with the help of an excellent performance from sophomore Fran Rodriguez on Tuesday.

On Monday, Rodriguez turned in a score of 74 [+2], followed by a score of 73 [+1] on Tuesday, a round that also included four birdies. That gave her a total of seven for the event. Overall Rodriguez finished with a score 147 [+3] which was good for third place overall.

Head coach Stephanie Young was pleased with Rodriguez’s performance.

“Fran [Rodriguez] led us again which capped off a great tournament,” Young said. “She and her teammates were determined to move up the board today.”

The Falcons as a team also performed well as they played themselves to a third place overall finish. On Monday the Falcons turned in a team score of 311 [+23], which gave them an initial sixth-place position in the tournament. The Falcons shot very well on Tuesday and were able to post a score of 296 [+8], which gave them an overall score of 607 [+31]. That was good enough to vault them into third place overall for the tournament.

Young was proud of her team’s effort throughout the event.

“Coach [Amy] Ruthenberg and I are very proud of our team today,” Young said. “They stayed focused and finished strong. It was an outstanding team effort. We will celebrate the success today and get back to work tomorrow to focus on Oakland this weekend.”

Eastern Michigan won the tournament when they defeated Western Michigan in a playoff.

The men’s team will return to competition in the Badger Invitational hosted by the University of Wisconsin in Madison, Wis., on Sept. 28-30.

The women’s team will next see action at the Oakland invitational in Rochester, Mich., on Sept. 27-28.