Bike tour part of University’s ‘Labor Play’ weekend events

Students, staff and faculty will be able to bike the Slippery Elms Trail as part of the University’s Labor Play weekend, hosted by the Office of Campus Sustainability and Wellness Connection on Aug. 30.

Participants will have the option of biking the regular tour, which is 10 miles long, or taking part in the extended tour at 26 miles long. They will also be provided a free lunch and the first 50 registered participants will receive a free T-shirt.

The event is meant to encourage students to stay in Bowling Green over Labor Day weekend, said Sustainability Assistant Lance Kruse.

“[This event] will show what BG has to offer and also help students find others with similar interests to create those meaningful connections,” Kruse said.

He said the program is appealing to those who have a “passion for physical wellness and want to see BG in an environmentally friendly way.”

Nick Hennessey, sustainability coordinator at the University, also said the program is meant to give students another option and incentive to stay over Labor Day weekend.

“Research has shown that the connections made by students with a university, in a variety of ways (such as might occur with the bike tour and all other Labor Day weekend events), may contribute to students remaining at the university, thus assisting our retention rates,” Hennessey said.

Hennessey said the program also allows students to know the entire community of Bowling Green better, rather than just the University.

Faith Yingling, director of the Wellness Connection, said she looks forward to partnering with the Office of Sustainability while also promoting a wellness activity.

“[The event] fits within our mission; it’s a great activity session and nature-type of event, so it will help students de-stress from that first week of classes,” Yingling said.

Representatives from the Wellness Connection will also be available to deliver an educational component about staying healthy and active.

“It’s an event that will accommodate students because of the two different tours, so we hope people will embrace it and take advantage of the trail that we have here,” Yingling said.

Sign-up and registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the extended [26 mile] tour leaves at 9 a.m. The regular [10 mile] tour will leave at 10 a.m. Though all students are welcome, priority is given to first-year students.