Volleyball opens season at home

The BG women’s volleyball team will open their regular season at home as they host the Hampton Inn Invitational at the Stroh Center this upcoming weekend.

With a new year and a new team, the Falcons look to shine bright and take advantage of their home crowd and start the season off on the right foot.

“It is a big advantage for us,” said Kelsey Bates. “We have our Falcon Fanatics behind our backs and we have a lot of people who are going to come to our first game … we have been recruiting people from our classes and it should be really exciting.”

Even with a youthful and inexperienced team, the Falcons look to play as a well-seasoned unit using teamwork as the basis for their success.

“We are working very hard in the gym,” said Danijela Tomic head coach of the volleyball team. “I told the team we are prepared … what I want us to do is to play as best as we can, play as a team, give 100 percent effort … I feel very confident I know they are going to show up, I know they are going to play like a team.”

Although the team seems to have the right mindset some players are nervous but yet excited to start the season, particularly the freshmen.

“Of course I am nervous,” said freshman Desi Klaer. “I didn’t get to experience playing in an actual game last year but we have done so much preparation not just the past two weeks but since July 1 just lifting and going to open gyms, I really think we are well prepared and as much as I am nervous I am more excited.”

Although there are nerves and jitters starting a new season, head coach Tomic has the team ready both physically and mentally.

“We want to continue to make the right choices for our hitters, for our defense, reading the game and knowing when a hitter is in position to be aggressive and when they are in position to make a conservative play so we are talking more of a strategy,” Tomic said. “We are still doing a lot of teaching with this team and it is showing results.”

The Hampton Inn Invitational will start at 3 p.m. on Friday with the University of Pittsburgh and Middle Tennesse State playing followed by the Falcons facing off against familiar foe, Dayton.

The Dayton Flyers defeated the Falcons at the end of last season three sets to one winning them 25-22, 24-26, 25-23, 25-20. BG’s following game will be on Saturday August 30 against Middle Tennessee State beginning at noon.