Greek housing in middle of renovations

Alyssa Benes Photo Editor

Greek housing project has started construction and is due to be complete in 2016.

The Greek Housing Project is running on schedule to be finished in the fall of 2016.

Started in December of 2012, the project has yet to see any setbacks, said Steve Krakoff, the vice president of Capital Planning.

“We’re finishing up a number of design details that will help give us a very specific site plan and an overall project cost. And we’re planning on moving forward then and we plan on moving forward in the spring of 2015 with construction.”

While the project is moving on schedule, sophomore Jessie Fix thinks otherwise.

“The Greek Housing Project looks like it’s moving along slowly,” she said.

Currently, the housing that was located along Wooster Street is being torn down, with plans to turn it into the new greek community, where all of the chapters will be located.

On Thurstin Avenue, the area where sorority houses are located will be turned into a parking lot for the Union, Krakoff said.

For students involved in the housing project, the new housing is an exciting change for the greek community.

“The [Greek] houses provide many chances to hang out and create memories,” said Tiffany Mitchell, the president of the Panhellenic Council. “With all of the houses in one location, the community is closer than ever before.”

Rather than being spread out in different areas on and off campus, the new Greek Housing Project will have the whole greek community staying in the same location.

The plans for the housing project have been in the works for a couple of years.

“This was part of a planning process that started slightly more than a couple years ago, which involved an extensive review of our existing housing, a look at the greek program overall and an overall look at the type of housing that would be the best for BGSU and greek students,” Krakoff said.

While the project will take two years to be completed, Mitchell thinks freshmen will benefit from joining the greek community this year.

“The freshmen would be joining at a great time. By their junior year, they can live [in] and utilize the houses,” she said.

But the housing project seems to be turning some freshmen away from joining the greek community.

A freshman, Katy Schindler, doesn’t think now is the time to join the community.

“I probably won’t join, I don’t want the atmosphere,” she said.