Gymnastics will host Eastern Michigan Saturday

After starting off the season on the road, the Falcons gymnastics team will return to Anderson Arena to face Eastern Michigan Jan. 25 at 4 p.m.

Each team has struggled early on in the season, the Falcons posting a 1-2 overall record and the Eagles holding a win-less record at 0-3.

Both teams look to rebound and get a win this weekend, especially the Falcons who have home court advantage on their side.

“Being on your home turf and having your own fans behind you, it gives you such more of a drive and adrenaline in knowing that there are so many people here believing in you and that are backing you up,” said Lacey Swords, senior captain.

A win for the Falcons would put them at 2-2 overall and 2-0 in the conference which would be the first time in four years that the Falcons opened the Mid-American Conference with two straight victories.

As for Eastern, they look toward Sophomore Khadijah Hudson, and Junior Anna Willette, who were second team all MAC last year, to lead the team and try to notch their first win.

“Getting that win, knowing you defeated another team that you are going be going against again later on in the season it helps keeps everyone on task,” Swords said. “More motivated and more of a drive to keep pushing through the rest of the season.”

It will be difficult as the Falcons have talented athletes too, like, most recent standouts, Alyssa Nocella who won both the vault and all-around competitions alongside Amanda Lievendag, who was named MAC Specialist of this past week.

In addition is Jamilah Ali, who won the vault title a year ago and Megan Harrington, who set new records in BG gymnastics.

“This group has been really fun to coach cause they really want to do better,” said head coach Kerrie Turner. “They seem to have that internal drive and knowing we have experienced returners but also some talented new freshman coming in definitely builds confidence within the program.”

Both teams are looking forward to the match-up this weekend and to improve their conference standing as BG was predicted to finish third and the Eagles at fifth in the preseason poll.

“The wins and losses especially within the conference help you build confidence because you know you are going to finish going into the end of the regular season,” Turner said.