Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• Women in Horror for Halloween
    It’s that time of year again where the weather is starting to cool down and the Halloween decorations are being put out. For me once it hits end of September my TBR becomes nothing, but horror and thriller novels. As a big mood reader the seasons and holidays determine what I want to read next. […]
  • My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]

Players to watch as Fantasy Football comes to close

The 2013 National Football League had plenty of standout performers in the statistical aspect this season.

In this article I will not talk about the heavyweights, such as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, LeSean McCoy, and Calvin Johnson. Instead I will be talking about the players that didn’t have much hype and were not expected to put up any big numbers this season.

To start off my list, I feel that it is only right to begin with Philadelphia Eagles’ quarterback Nick Foles. The second year player out of the University of Arizona started out the season by backing up Michael Vick. Now in January after an exceptional season, Foles is headed to the Pro-Bowl in Hawaii. This season Foles threw for 2,891 yards and 27 touchdowns, while throwing just two interceptions. Foles and the Eagles future looks bright headed into the 2014 season.

After a rough 2012 season, San Diego Chargers Ryan Mathews was on the verge of losing his number one position at running back. The former first round draft pick proved his worthiness this season by rushing for a career high 1,255 yards and six touchdowns while leading his team into the playoffs. Mathews fought through injuries and played banged up throughout the season, but still didn’t miss a game.

The next three standout spots were earned by wide receivers. These standout players really made a name for themselves during the 2013 season.

First is New England Patriot, Julian Edelman. The former Kent State quarterback was drafted back in 2009 in the seventh round by the Patriots and transformed into a wide receiver. Through his first four seasons Edelman had 69 receptions coming into this season. This year he emerged as the Patriots’ number one receiver, catching 105 balls for 1,056 yards and scoring six touchdowns, which were all careers highs. Edelman and the Patriots will take on the Denver Broncos this upcoming weekend in the AFC Championship game.

The next player on the list is Cleveland Browns speedy wide out Josh Gordon. Despite a two game suspension and trade rumors early in the season, Gordon led the NFL in receiving yards with 1,646 and nine touchdowns.

Pierre Garcon caps off my list for the 2013 standouts for Fantasy Football. Garcon led the NFL in receptions with 113 and had 1,346 receiving yards, which was also a career high. Garcon, along with all the other fantasy football standouts on this list were able to help out many fantasy owners win a championship this season.

The NFL season is coming to an end with conference championships this weekend, but we have seen some great performances this year.