Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 21, 2023

• Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]
  • A Theatrical Rivalry with Love and Despair
    By Jay Grummel If We Were Villains has a way of making the horrifics acts of rivals and the blurry line of morals poetic. At first glance I didn’t think I’d enjoy this book as much as I did, especially with the amount of times it quoted Shakespeare. However, after diving into this dark academic […]

USG updates code of conduct

The code of conduct is like the constitution for the students of the University, and it needs to be reviewed every once in a while to make sure the rules and language are up to date.

This is exactly what the undergraduate student government did Monday night.

Michael Ginsburg, associate dean of students, came in and presented changes he and a group of faculty, staff and undergraduate students have proposed for the code of conduct.

While most of the changes were simply a change in language, there were some parts of the code that were proposed for change.

“We look at the code to update it once every few years,” Ginsburg said. “When we do, we look at what other schools are doing and see if it’s good for our students.”

In the introduction, Ginsburg said they needed more inclusive language to promote inclusive activity.

Along with simple language changes to keep up with the technology change, some of the proposed changes involved clarifying when the status of a student would be changed.

“Now, the changes made clarify that a student is no longer considered to be a student of the University if they are not attending classes for two or more consecutive semesters in a row,” Ginsburg said.

Academic Affairs Chair Kasie Durkit asked if the summer semester counts for the number of semesters, which Ginsburg answered and said the only way it wouldn’t is if a student was signed up to take classes for the following semester.

Other changes were made to include social media as a potential platform where students can be held accountable for what they post if it violates the code of conduct.

Lastly, the policies in the code of conduct were updated to include more language from Title IX.

“I think the University’s actions strongly reflected Title IX, but our policy language hasn’t so we wanted to update that,” Ginsburg said.

The next USG meeting on Monday, February 3 in 308 Union at 7:30 p.m.