BGSU veteran services climbs to No. 2 in National Rankings

Jerome+Library

Jerome Library

Nia Lambdin | Managing Editor

Bowling Green State University announced that BGSU now holds the second spot in the Best for Vets national rankings of top universities for veterans and active military students, on Sept. 12. 

The Best for Vets rankings are an editorial independent study that evaluates a university’s services and education for its active service members, veterans and their families. 

In the press release, BGSU President Rodney Rogers said, “As a public university for the public good, we are all in and continue to embrace the special commitment to educate, support and serve our veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces to ensure they are successful in college and beyond.”

According to Military Times, the ranking is based on a school-by-school assessment of the veteran and military student services along with the rates of achievements in academics. 

“Everyone at the University puts in a sincere effort to connect with military students to ensure they succeed. It’s that care and commitment that makes BGSU one of the best universities for students,” Barbara Henry, Assistant Vice President of BGSU’s Nontraditional and Military Student Services said.

Henry explained that BGSU creates a personalized and student-centered approach while working with the veteran and military population on campus. 

There are services like tutoring and a veteran affairs center on campus to help better equip the students. 

“From tutors to academic advisors, the University has worked hard to ensure veterans and military students succeed in and out of the classroom. Students are at the center of what we do, and we’re proud to support student learning and outcomes,” Henry said.

In the Midwest, BGSU is ranked number one for veterans and active military personnel, according to the Military Times.