Homecoming by the Quarter

1975 Snake Dance at Bowling Green State University

Megan Finke | Editor-in-Chief & Sam Momeyer | Lifestyle Content Director

100 years of education, tradition and football will be celebrated this Saturday, Sept. 17. Bowling Green State University will be recognizing its 100 year homecoming celebration. 

However, times have changed and it is not 1922. Celebrations and traditions don’t look like they used to, and have progressed quite a bit in this past century, whether that be the annual homecoming football game, the picnics, alumnus, tailgates or block parties. 

1922:

This was the very first homecoming for the university. The very first annual “Home-coming” football game was played against the Toledo Rockets, BG’s I-75 rivals. 

One event that occurred was students getting together to do an activity known as the Snake Dance. This dance winded through the campus and the downtown streets.

1947:

Fast forward to 25 years later, the 1947 homecoming celebration saw many events the 1922 celebration did not. Homecoming royalty is said to be established between the years 1911-1920, meaning the first homecoming didn’t have a king or queen. 

Greek Life had a heavy participation in this homecoming celebration, and almost every sorority had a nomination for queen. The 1947 homecoming queen was Patty Bice of Gamma Phi Beta. 

This year hosted a pep rally, student dances, yearbook handout, scholastic group meetings and various entertainment parties from Greek Life. SICSIC made an appearance at this homecoming since the secret society was established in Oct. 1946.

The Falcons played Kent State University and won, 21-8.

1972:

25 years later and it’s 1972. This year brought varied opinions as it was the 50 year anniversary. 

The traditions were still abundant and popular as 26 people applied to be homecoming queen. Linda Davis won the title, making her Bowling Green’s second Black homecoming queen.

Throughout editions of the BG News, coupons can be found from local businesses advertising their homecoming specials. Additionally, the university hosted alumni class lectures, alumni dances and a concert. 

The University Activities Organization hosted a concert where Sha-Na-Na and the O’Jays performed. Tickets were $3.50 for reserved seating and $3 for general admission.

“Uncoming” became a topic of this era as it was simply a request for students to refer to homecoming, as upcoming. A BG News reporter wrote, “Homecoming is pretty much dead and gone, but I think ‘UNcoming’ has a chance.” 

The Falcons played Marshall University and won, 46-7.

Two years later, in 1974, BGSU crowned their first male homecoming queen, Richard A. Marrow, who received an enormous applause, according to the BG News.

And a year after this, BGSU set a guinness world record for the longest Snake Dance. 

2022:

The 100th homecoming will be filled with activities for all ages, including music, lawn games and a chance to reconnect with the community from Bowling Green. 

Alumni can experience the new and improved BGSU since they last stepped foot on campus, along with getting to revive bonds with past friends and professors. 

BGSU’s Student Engagement released the nominations for the homecoming kings and queens. For homecoming king, Joshua Auten, Kameron Farmer, Andrew Hogle, Malcolm Massey and Jay Prenger were nominated. And for homecoming queen, Clare Caywood, Javana Joyce, Jenna Kull, Mackenzie Lee Robertson and Genesis Salone were nominated. 

Vote for homecoming king and queen on linktr.ee @bgsu_get_involved. Voting will close on Sept. 17 at noon.