Falcons close out Hampton Inn Invitational with win over DePaul

Falcon Volleyball defeated the DePaul Blue Demons at the Stroh Center yesterday afternoon to close out the Hampton Inn Invitational.

The Falcons handled their business in the first set before dropping a close second set, 25-23. They responded well in the third, pulling away for a seven-point victory, before sealing the match with a dramatic comeback victory in the fourth set.  

How It Happened  
Set 1: Bowling Green 25, DePaul 17 

• The first set belonged started with the Falcons grabbing a small lead, going up 9-6 

• It went back and forth, until DePaul drew to within three points again, 14-11. 

• Bowling Green quickly pulled away with 7-2 run and never looked back, taking the first set 25-17. 

Set 2: DePaul 25, Bowling Green 23 

• The second set started where the last one left off. Bowling Green took an early lead before the Blue Demons flipped the script with an 8-4 run to put them on top, 13-11. 

• DePaul took off on an 8-2 tear to put the Falcons behind 20-13.

• The Falcons showed no signs of letting up however. They would fight their way back into the game, cutting DePaul’s lead to 22-19 with a 6-2 run. The two squads exchanged points but ultimately the Falcons would dig themselves into too deep of a hole, dropping set two, 25-23. 

Set 3: Bowling Green 25, DePaul 18 

• Set three was tightly contested, back and forth until the score was knotted up at 13. At that point the Falcons took over the game with a six point run, forcing a DePaul timeout. 

• The Blue Demons failed to string any points together until game point, when they tallied three points in a row. That was too little too late, though and Bowling Green took Set three by a score of 25-18.

Set 4: Bowling Green 25, DePaul 21 

• Set four started with DePaul taking the early lead, 4-1. The two squads exchanged points until BG managed to cut the Blue Demon lead to 8-7 

• DePaul responded with a 5-1 run to extend their lead to 13-8.  

• The Falcons went on a couple three point runs and clawed back to tie the game at 16. What followed was a dog fight. The score was tied at 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 before Bowling Green grabbed a hold of the lead 21-20 and refused to let go. The Falcons rolled to take set four by a score of 25-21.  

Falcon Stat Leaders (Courtesy of BGSU Athletics) 
Kills: Kat Mandly (14) 
Assists: Jaden Walz (22) 
Digs: Petra Indrova (29) 
Aces: Yelianiz Torres (2) 
Blocks: Jessica Andrews (12) 

This win moves the Falcons to a 3-3 record on the year and they finish the Hampton Inn Invitational, going 2-1 this weekend. The Orange and Brown are traveling to Pittsburgh and Ann Arbor in the coming weeks before making their return to the Stroh Center on Friday September 30th, when they take on the Ohio Bobcats. 

For more information about the game, visit www.bgsufalcons.com.

PHOTO CREDITS: BGSU ATHLETICS