BGSU Volleyball drops both games in Friday’s Tennessee Classic

Purdue 3, BGSU 0

In the season opener for both teams, the Bowling Green Falcons would fall to the thirteenth ranked Purdue Boilermakers in straight sets, 23-25, 18-25, 23-25. While the Falcons earned the advantage in kills, 43-36, the relentless defense of the Boilermakers proved too much to overcome.  

Purdue, a member of last season’s Elite Eight, rallied to a three-set victory behind Eva Hudson’s scoring ability. The Falcons had no answers as the freshman finished with 18 kills and a block, with 14 of her kills coming in the first two sets. Hudson’s 18 kills are the most by a Purdue freshman since 2018.  

The Boilermakers’ defense picked up where they left off last season, finishing the match with 10 blocks compared to BGSU’s one. Purdue finished fourth in the nation last season in blocks per set (2.96) and 1stin total blocks (372.5).  

The Falcons started well, holding a four-point lead at a point in the first set, but the Purdue’s defense started to hold, and the Falcons had trouble gaining momentum through the match. Preseason All-MAC member and senior Petra Indrova led the way for BGSU with 16 kills and six digs. Hanna Laube led both teams with 32 assists, with next assist leader on the Falcons, Jaden Walz, having seven. 

Loyola Chicago 3, BGSU 1   

The second match of the day would have the same result for the Falcons, as they would lose a 4-set match against the Loyola Chicago (IL) Ramblers, 26-28, 25-20, 18-25, 18-25. While the Falcons would start off well again and win their first set of the season, the offensive struggles that persisted in their match against Purdue returned, giving the Ramblers the advantage.   

For the Ramblers, they used a balanced effort all around to secure a win in their season opener. Addie Barnes led the way with 12 kills and three aces, while Karlie McNabb was second on the team with nine kills and an ace. They were able to take away many opportunities from Bowling Green, having the 63-50 edge in digs.  

The Ramblers are coming off a 22-10 season and were predicted to finish third in the Atlantic-10 conference, based on the A-10 preseason poll.  

Struggles on offense plagued the Falcons again, finishing the day with a .142 hit percentage average between their matches with Purdue and Loyola Chicago. In the second set, the lone win for the Falcons, their hit percentage was .258. In the three other sets, the Falcons hit percentage was .106, .154 and .028, respectively.  

Laube led in assists again with 26, giving her 58 on the season. She is looking to improve her assist total from last season, where she logged 1,088, including a career high 67 against Eastern Michigan. 

Fifth-Year senior Katelyn Meyer is now on the cusp of Bowling Green Volleyball history. She led the offense with 14 kills, which puts her at 1,466 in her career and is now 3rdin program history in kills. She also put up 33 attacks which puts her at a career total of 4,303, just 207 away from the most attacks in program history.  

Meyer’s pursuit of BGSU volleyball history will continue when they face the Tennessee Volunteers. First serve will be today, August 27th,  at 11 AM. 

PHOTO CREDIT: BGSU Athletics

Be sure to follow the Falcons volleyball team on social media: 

Twitter @BGAthletics and @BGSUVolleyball 

Instagram – ‘bgfalcons‘ and ‘bgsuvolleyball 

TikTok – @bgsuvolleyball