Media Review: “House of Cards”

I’m an avid Netflix fan, but I don’t always have time to watch a lot of it, with my schedule being so consumed with the newspaper and covering BG men’s basketball.

So, when season three of “House of Cards” was announced to come out on my weekend off, I was ecstatic. I woke up at 4 a.m. and began my binge-watching.

I should also say that coming into season three my favorite character was Doug Stamper, but more than that I loved how much each character developed in every episode.

That said, season three was my favorite and least favorite season at the same time. That makes no sense, I know. Let me explain.

Without spoiling anything, I can say I absolutely loved watching the evolution of Doug Stamper after he woke up in the hospital. Through 13 episodes, I thought his story could have been explained better, but that’s not my biggest concern.

I absolutely loved the detail the show went into with Frank’s policies. I loved hearing about “AmericaWorks,” and loved watching as he and Congress went to war over different decisions. Like the storyline for Doug, again this could have been a bit better.

I know you don’t want to bore people with the politics, but then again the viewers know that this is what the show is about. Again, I won’t complain about that too much, because I enjoyed it.

Two people ruined the entire season for me, and two very important characters at that: Frank and Claire Underwood.

I came into this season liking them both and ended season three on Sunday hating them both. Not because they aren’t amazing characters — they are still two of the most dynamic characters I’ve seen on a show — but because of how much I had to hear about them this season.

We knew coming into the season that they had marriage issues, but it got worse in this season, and worse

and worse.

In the beginning I was intrigued, but by episode six or seven when things picked up in Congress and at the United Nations I was sick of seeing their faces.

It was so forced, every argument, every smile and even their awkward sex scene after Frank was crying in his study. It was all forced.

I don’t mind watching a couple go through things in a show; I actually enjoy that. What I don’t like is when it is forced the way it was in

this season.

With that said, I did enjoy the season, I really did. I wouldn’t have binge-watched it if I didn’t. But in the next season I do hope they ease off of forcing the Frank and Claire drama. With the last word of the season being, “Claire,” I doubt that my wish will be granted anytime soon.