Jose Narro adjusts to life as a student-athlete

The life of the student-athlete is often misunderstood. Students sometimes look at their athletic classmates and conclude they have a privileged lifestyle. They assume athletes are only in college in hopes to pursue their athletic career, so they do not focus on their grades. They could not be more wrong.

Take Jose Narro, for example. The sophomore, from Tampico, Mexico, has been one of the bright spots on Bowling Green’s golf team. He routinely finishes ranked in the top-25 in his golf events and was named MAC Men’s Golfer of the Week this past September.

Narro works tirelessly to master all the fundamentals of his golf game, a sport that requires dedication, intellect and mental stability.

“Golf is all about your mental and you can really screw yourself up if you don’t come with a positive approach,” Narro said. “Positivity is crucial because a bad frame of mind can quickly impact the precision and accuracy of your shot. Keep your stress levels low and be optimistic.”

Narro encounters stress daily. However, he does not let that interfere with his responsibilities on and off the course. As a supply chain management major, he successfully balances a rigorous academic schedule, daily three-to-four hour practices, a social life and a year-round golf schedule that includes heavy traveling.

Narro said he applies the same approach to his schoolwork as he does to golf because he understands its importance.

“Professors have never shown me favoritism. If the assignment is late, it’s late so you have to stay on top of your work,” Narro said. “I always do my assignments as soon as I get them. We know our schedules so it’s really on us to stay on top of our grades.”

Narro was open with his opinion about the misunderstood student-athlete.

“I think people just make opinions about things like that, its human nature,” he said, “I have worked very hard to get the chance to play sports in college and I know I have to do my part as a student to make sure I keep that chance. Some nights I want to go out with my friends, but I can’t because I have homework to do. I choose to put school first.”

Narro also has the challenge of being an international student. He does not get to go home to see his parents and siblings as often as he wants, but he understands that this was an opportunity for him do something he loved while getting a great education.

“I miss going home a lot because of the weather and my family, but they’ve been really supportive. We are a really close family so we talk all the time. My coaches and teammates took me under their wing and made me feel welcome here so you can say I’m happy,” he said.

Narro’s game has flourished for the Falcons.

In the 2014 fall season, he played in all six events for Bowling Green and posted a stroke average of 73.17 over 18 rounds of play, a team low.

He carded a career-low round of 66 at the Joe Feaganes Marshall Invitational and at the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic, tied for fifth-lowest individual 18-hole score in BGSU history since 1972-73.

He also represented his home country in the Latin American Amateur Championship in Buenos Aires, Argentina, this past January.

“I was really proud I got selected to represent my country, it was a big honor,” he said.

Narro wants to pursue a pro career in golf. However, he’s aware he will have an education that could pave the way for other business endeavors.

“I’ve always wanted to grow pro but I’m not counting on that being my only career. I like business for some reason. I might get my master’s one day, I don’t know. I’m young, I’ve got time to figure that out.”