Student Athlete Advisory Committee holds networking night

Student Athlete Networking Night

When thinking about jobs and internships, the University holds job fairs and panels for students. On Wednesday evening, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee sponsored a special networking event aimed just at student athletes in the Stroh Center.

Guests dined on finger foods, fruit and desserts provided by Dining Services as students interacted with 11 employers and faculty from the athletics department. Employers included Quicken Loans, Tom James Careers and a medical official from the University of Toledo, among others.

Chet Hesson, assistant athletic director for academics and student services said that the event is pretty important.

“It’s all about fit,” Hesson said. “Where a student fits best. That’s part of my role in recruitment, helping the athletes with career development, having one-on-ones with them and building essential relationships. Basically telling them why BG is the best place on Earth.”

Student Athlete Networking Night began in 2010 and had the biggest turnout of student-athletes this year.

Hesson says the purpose of the networking night is to connect potential employers with student-athletes and their interests.

“We want to connect athletes with employers who match their interests, like sales and marketing,” Hesson said. “Employees are usually interested in athletes because of their determination, drive, ability to overcome obstacles and adversity.”

Marissa Tashenberg, grad assistant for student athlete services, says that they wanted the event to be a casual, welcoming environment where athletes could discover their niche.

“We wanted to be welcoming, so we had a panel of judges answering questions about what sticks out on a resume, how to nail the job, and other job related things,” Tashenberg said. “We strived for it to be organic, a place where the students could figure out what they want to do next.”

Tashenberg is the academic advisor for men’s and women’s golf, women’s volleyball and softball teams. They recruited students’ interests by sending out a survey to all the student-athletes at the University and contacting employers from there.

“We contacted employers who we had established a relationship with,” Tashenberg said. “We tried to get a variety of people to match students’ interests. If a student wanted say, a journalist, then we would reach out and try to grab someone in that field. Some of the recruiters that are here are former Falcons and student athletes.”

Dash Yost, former University baseball player, said that coming back to show students athletes about careers is important.

“It’s great to give back to the University,” said Yost, also a sales marketer of Tom James Clothing in Cleveland. “I always ask students what they want out of life, and we go from there. The amazing things Chris Kingston is implementing with the students athletes and making winning a culture here is mind blowing.”

Carmen Young, president of SAAC said that networking for student athletes is important for their future.

“I always tell the student-athletes that life after sports is very different,” said Young. “Sports teaches you valuable skills to put on your resume and get through life, but academics and marketable skills are more important in the real world.”