Bowling Green tennis team loses third MAC game

The Akron Zips hosted the Bowling Green women’s tennis team on Friday night and handed the Falcons their third Mid-American Conference loss, 6-1.

Megan Miller recorded the lone point on the night in her top flight singles matchup with Akron’s Martina Zerbola.

Miller’s victory gives her a 2-1 MAC singles play record and increases her lead in both singles wins [eight] and overall victories [15], all of this coming in her first season as a Falcon.

Miller and Zerbola split two sets with each player getting a 6-3 score. In the tiebreaking set Miller came out with the close 11-9 win.

For the rest of the team the effort was there but the end result turned the way of the Zips.

“The girls played great today,” said head coach Olga Elkin. “That was some of the best tennis I have seen some of them play. Attitude and effort was great right from the start.”

The Zips took the doubles point as doubles matches began the day. The first flight doubles match between the Falcon duo of Harley Hutchinson and Miller and Akron’s duo of Zerbola and Sophia Geier ended 6-4 in favor of Akron.

The second flight match involving the duo of Brittany Plaszewski and Emily Witt, and Akron duo of Madison Cohen and Karolina Maksimova was halted at 4-4 after the Zips clinched the doubles point in the third flight doubles match. The third flight ended before the second flight as the Akron duo of Ariadna Blinova and Olga Shkundina took down the Falcon duo of Antonina Farrar and Sydney Seeley, 6-0.

Singles matches, aside from Miller’s, went the way of the Zips. Shkundina defeated Hutchinson 6-4, 6-4, Blinova defeated Witt 6-2, 6-2, Geier defeated Plaszewski 7-5, 6-3, Shannon Newnes defeated Farrar 6-1, 6-0, and Cohen defeated Seeley 6-0, 6-0.

It was a quick turnaround as the team’s next opponent was the University of Buffalo on Sunday.

The Bulls took the event with the final score line of 7-0.

In doubles action the Bulls took the point to start the event with the duo of Tanja Stojanovska and Christine Haraldson taking down Farrar and Seeley 6-1, and the duo of Laura Holterbosch and Doris Aleksovska downing the Falcon duo of Witt and Plaszewski 7-5.

In singles action Miller could not find a way to finish off Stojanovska as the flight went to Buffalo 7-5, 6-2. That flight was followed by the singles match between Hutchinson and Margarita Kotok also ending with a Buffalo victory 6-2, 6-0.

Similar stories came for the rest of the Falcons in singles action as Witt was downed 6-2, 6-4 by Dayana Agasieva, Plaszewski by Holterbosch 6-4, 6-1, Farrar by Haraldson 6-0, 6-0, and Seeley by Aleksovska 6-1, 6-0.

The Falcons will have home action next weekend taking on MAC rival Toledo at Keefe Courts with start time set for 1 p.m.