Precious Stones puts on sixth annual fashion show

Lights were flashing and Drake’s “Legend” bumped through speakers as models delivered a variety of choreographed struts down the runway.

Precious Stones’ sixth annual fashion show was dubbed the GOAT [Greatest of all Time] for a reason.

Ashley Ross, Precious Stones president, said this was the best fashion show of all time because of all the hard work they put into it.

“The show was very successful on our behalf. We put on the fashion show because it’s a way to promote women’s empowerment and self-esteem,” she said.

What separates the Precious Stones fashion show from your every day runway is the overall atmosphere and diversity of models.

“A lot of our models aren’t traditional models,” Ross said. “We take everyone. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.”

Ross said the reason behind ten weeks of thorough pre-show planning is to infuse women’s self-confidence.

“A lot of us have been told we’re not good enough, we’re not pretty enough – this is our chance to show that we are beautiful and we are enough,” she said.

Models’ ensembles changed in sequence of three different segments.

The first segment, ADIDAS, featured black mesh cover-ups over bandeaus and high-waist hot pants.

CREAM included patterns and skintight silhouettes.

Models wore camouflage bomber jackets, faux-fur vests and tops adorned with $100 bill graphics.

BYOB featured a grunge party-chic collection.

Cropped jerseys, acid wash high-waist jeans and metallic skirts were paired with stiletto pumps and lace-up boots.

Men’s fashion included chambray shirts layered over graphic tees, black joggers and combat boots.

Rue21 and the models’ closets provided the fashion.

Model Emilia Durand walked the runway for the third time of her college career.

“The first time I walked it really helped me and brought out my confidence,” she said.

Durand said that Precious Stones benefits campus because it promotes beauty in all forms.

“I love what the organization represents,” she said. “Any shape, any size – we’re all beautiful women.”

Fashion show attendee, Tiara Smith, enjoyed the different themes and spring trends.

“The fur is definitely my favorite,” she said.

Smith said she attended Precious Stones annual fashion show to support an on-campus organization that strongly benefits the student body.

The show ended but the audience’s energy continued to thrive after the models made their final runway walk.

Ross ended the night explaining the Precious Stones mission statement.

“Its about being a better you. It’s not about who calls you ugly, it’s about how you feel about yourself,” she said. “If you don’t feel good about yourself, Precious Stones is here to make you feel good.”