Falcons lose to MAC leading Redhawks

On Saturday the league leading Miami Redhawks handled business on their way to a 7-0 victory over the Falcons.

The win gave the Redhawks at least a share of the MAC regular season title, while the loss for the Falcons was another tough learning experience.

The early season storyline of injuries played its part again as injuries forced the Falcons to forfeit the third doubles and sixth singles flights.

With one of the two doubles victories in hand, Miami only needed to win one of the two doubles matches in play.

The duo of Andreea Badileanu and Romons Costea took down the Falcon duo of Antonina Farrar and Emily Witt 6-0.

With the doubles point clinched the first flight match involving Falcon’s Megan Miller and Harley Hutchison was called before it ended. Miller and Hutchison were close to defeat as the Miami duo of Christine Guerrazzi and Nelli Ponomareva had them down 5-0.

The keys for the team this season have been to come from the onset with energy and capture the crucial doubles point.

Saturday that mindset was missing for the Falcons and it put them behind heading into singles play.

“Your motivation has to come from within,” said head coach Olga Elkin. “If they [the team] choose not to do that then it will spiral out of control and that happened today.”

Even though the motivation was down there were bright spots in Farrar and Witt.

Witt battled with Ponomareva in third flight singles play and Farrar with Hannah Shteyn in the fourth flight.

Witt lost 6-3, 6-1 but found herself in each set on the day battling with at least a point lead at one point in the match.

“I had a lot of energy, especially against Miami the defending MAC champs,” said Witt. “I was working every single point.”

For Farrar the challenge came from Hannah Shteyn. Shteyn won the match 6-1, 6-0 and provided a unique challenge to Farrar.

“Taller girls usually have the better serve,” said Farrar. “Thing that got me really was she was left handed.”

The rest of the Falcons in action fell soundly to the Redhawks. Miller in the top flight downed by Alix Thurman 6-1, 6-2, Hutchinson downed by Guerrazzi 6-1, 6-2 and Seeley downed by Rodriguez 6-0, 6-0.

With only a week left and two matches on the road, the Falcons will look to push for their first win on the season and build for the future.