Geology scholarship offers $50, rock hammer to student winner

The Department of Geology’s Outstanding Undergraduate Student award is an opportunity that students aren’t taking for granted.

The scholarship will be awarded to a senior that has the highest grade point average and is an active member of the

geology program.

The scholarship includes $50 and a rock hammer, a tool that is vital to geology students’ future endeavors.

Kurt Panter, Associate Professor, explained that the unique award is very important.

He said, “A rock hammer is a fundamental tool used by field geologists to sample rock. We require all of our students to have rock hammers in our capstone Field Methods course that is a 5+ week off-campus class held in New Mexico and Colorado.”

Along with the Outstanding Undergraduate Student award, Panter said in the past few years, 7-8 geology students attending the field camp have received scholarships from the “Choose Ohio First” scholarship program.

The field camp consists of students working with sedimentary, metamorphic and igneous rocks, slope stability analyses and environmental

site assessments.

Students will learn how to use GPS receivers, topo maps, satellite images and Brunton compasses for their projects.

To make the Outstanding Undergraduate Student scholarship even more appealing, no application paperwork is involved.

Panter said, “The undergraduate scholarships are not something the students have to apply for. Our awards committee reviews all of the current Geology majors and determines which students qualify.”

Panter said that not all the scholarships awarded are the same way, “Some are individual awards and some [are] split among several students.”

Over 20 of the geology students receive an award and will be presented at the annual awards banquet on April 15.

Fran Snyder, Adjunct Instructor, said there are numerous scholarships that are given out each year to assist students and some of them include tools.

The Geology department is currently offering a variety of scholarships for students including the Conrad and Deanna Allen Fund, an award of $1000 and a Brunton compass.

Geology Club president Matt Witte said the awards are very rewarding to geology majors.

“Geology scholarships are beneficial to students because all of our students work hard for the department.” Witte said, “The scholarships give [students] a sense of recognition and helps alleviate some financial burden at the same time. These awards help to make our small department feel even closer as a group.”

Browse a variety of available scholarships offered in specific programs on the University’s website searchable

scholarship guide.