Common read author speaks on identity, passion

Wes+Moore
Wes Moore

Finding what you’re passionate about in life and doing whatever it takes to live out that destiny is the message that author Wes Moore portrayed to audience members.

Students, faculty and community members gathered on Wednesday evening to listen to Moore speak on his book, “The Other Wes Moore.”

His inspiration stems from his relationship that was formed with a man serving life in prison, who is also named Wes Moore.

His book was the common read for this year’s freshman class, focusing on the theme of identity.

“The common read gives us common ground,” said University President Mary Ellen Mazey. “It binds us in terms of what we know about ourselves, what we can think about ourselves, where we are today, where we want to be in the future and the paths we take through life.”

Moore emphasized to audience members the importance of developing a foundation of higher education and using that throughout the choices we make.

“Higher education is how you take that foundation to have it mean something for a larger impact on the world you live in,” Moore said. “The potential is universal, the opportunity is not.”

He talked about the life lessons that he endured and how they have shaped who is he.

“Every decision, good or bad, has helped me become who I am today,” Moore said. “Even our worst decisions don’t separate us from the rest of humanity.”

Moore’s speech inspired many students, including sophomore Audrey McMahon.

“I’m excited to go back home and read it,” McMahon said.

Mazey, who was raised by a single mother like Moore, was also inspired by the influence that Moore’s mother had on his life and what she did to help him become who he is today.

Audience members also had the opportunity to ask questions toward the end.

When asked his advice on students who may lack the confidence in making a difference in the world Moore said, “That journey of making a difference has already begun.”

He emphasized finding passion in work, and using that passion to leave a legacy.

Moore’s passion stems from areas of different experiences.

Aside from being an author, he is a youth advocate, army combat veteran, social entrepreneur and the host of “Beyond Belief” on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Moore has used his talents to teach others to be the best they can be.

“We are products of our own expectations,” Moore said. “Who will you choose to fight for?”