Fashion show promotes more than clothes, appearance

For the past few years, the University organization The Black Student Union has been putting on fashion shows to help fundraise and raise awareness for different causes.

With an annual tradition, BSU fashion shows have become a staple within the student organization. Devery Manier, the Public Relations Chair for BSU, said that the mission of the fashion shows are more of a statement then clothing, hair and makeup.

“Our mission is to create cultural and political awareness amongst BGSU’s black and overall campus community through programming and initiatives that promote unity, scholarship and leadership. The programs that we put on are supposed to benefit students in the Africana community as well as enlighten students from all walks of life … The Black Student Union puts on an annual fashion show to promote culture and unity.”

With a clear mission in mind for the show, the Black Student Union has taken a new outlook and message for the show.

“This show is also steering away from gender norms and being hyper sexualized that typical fashion shows have done previously. For example, we are not forcing ladies to wear heels or that men can’t wear heels. I think that BSU’s fashion show this year is allowing others to feel confident and build confidence with themselves,” said Manier.

With such a modern approach to the show, many may be wondering how students will react to the changes.

Former BSU model, DaiJane’ Littlejohn, says that the new approach will be empowering for women.

“I seriously love this idea. I think lots of times between all the different media outlets and things like that it’s hard for women to feel beautiful without makeup, a nice dress, and heels,” said Littlejohn. “We forget that beauty comes from within and can exist in any and every form. So to have an entire fashion show in which women can be completely natural … is absolutely amazing.”