Falcons score two late goals in away win

The Bowling Green men’s soccer team defeated the Wright State Raiders 3-2 on Tuesday night, on the strength of two goals scored in the final 15 minutes of the match.

Wright State led 2-1 going into the second half, until sophomore forward Keaton Reynolds scored his first collegiate goal at the 74:48 mark to knot up the match 2-2, getting assists from junior midfielder Max Auden and junior defender Danny Shea, who recorded his first collegiate assist.

“We just kept pressing,” Head coach Eric Nichols said. “Going down is tough on the road, but the guys just kept pressing and kept playing through tough conditions and we got enough on frame to where we could get something.”

The Falcons would not have to wait much longer for the eventual game winning goal, with freshman forward Tate Robertson scoring at 80:20 to earn his first collegiate goal, as well as give the team a 3-2 lead, which they would not relinquish. Senior midfielder Ryan James assisted on the game winning goal.

“I’ve been working hard to get that first goal,” Robertson said. “Whatever I can do to help the team, to help them win, is my main goal, so it feels good to push the team on to a W.”

The team has also been expecting for Robertson to break out, even as a freshman.

“Tate’s really good and in my opinion, he needs to be scoring more,” Nichols said. “It doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s a really good class, both the freshmen and sophomores, so we have a lot of balance on our team.”

Although the team has won the last two matches after losing three out of four on their previous road trip, they feel that the offense has produced the same through the high and low points.

“I thought we were doing pretty well before,” Nichols said. “We were just doing some very small things better and the margin between winning and losing is so tight.”

The first Falcon goal of the match was scored by junior defender/midfielder Jacob Roth, who scored on a diving header at the 38:43 mark in the first half to make it a 1-1 tie game, getting an assist from junior midfielder Joe Sullivan. It was Roth’s third consecutive goal in as many matches, as well as his fourth in five matches.

“Any time you score, it’s all about the team,” Roth said. “Sullivan played a great ball in, and I just sold out and ended up heading it into the net.”

With the win, the Falcons now have a winning record, standing at 8-7-1 but still mired in fifth in the Mid-American Conference. Wright State falls to 9-5-1 with the loss, but remain in third place in the Horizon League.