Mens soccer stays undefeated against Cleveland State

Zane Miller and Zane Miller

The Bowling Green men’s soccer team defeated Cleveland State 3-0 as junior forward and team scoring leader Pat Flynn scored two goals to keep the team’s undefeated record through four games.

Flynn first scored eight minutes and 51 seconds into the match, then again at 66 minutes and 10 seconds for an insurance goal.

Head coach Eric Nichols said that Flynn has been a difference maker for the team both on the field and in the locker room and his performance was an excellent example of the passion he brings to the team.

“He can score in score in all kinds of different ways. His two goals couldn’t be more different,” Nichols said. “He’s one of those guys that if we’re playing well, he’s going to get us that goal that separates us.”

Flynn said that the mentality among himself and the other forwards of taking advantage of scoring opportunities helped lead to his two goals and assist in the match.

“As a forward, you’re always trying to get one more, either an assist or a goal,” Flynn said. “You’re always trying to be the assassin, as coach would say. Every moment you get you want to take full advantage of, so score early but keep scoring.”

Also with an exceptional game played was the team’s defense, who only allowed two shots to come toward junior goalkeeper Ryan Heuton, who made saves on both. The team has yet to allow five or more shots on goal by the opposing team this season.

Senior defender Jake Genrich said that all the players on the field, not just the defenders, helped hold Cleveland State to a low number of scoring chances.

“It’s a team effort,” Genrich said. “It’s not just the guys in the back. If you see the guys in the front, they’re always hustling to get back behind the ball, and that makes our job easy.”

Also scoring a goal in the game was junior midfielder Joe Sullivan, who got the match’s opening goal three minutes and 56 seconds into the first half.

Even with the early lead, the team tries not to let it affect the rest of their game.

“You try not to let it change the way you play,” Nichols said. “Really nice to try to get a little bit of separation, when it was two (goals) we were looking for three, and even then the boys were working pretty hard to get that fourth.”

Genrich also said that the team competed hard throughout the match regardless of the early two goal lead.

“Anything can happen, so we’re always thinking about defending first,” Genrich said. “The next play is always the one that matters.”