Citizens recognized for service to the community, University

Dr. Arpan Yagnik was recognized as the honor role outstanding citizen by Mayor Richard Edwards and Human Relations Council chair Reverend Mary Jane Saunders.

This award is given four times a year by the HRC which Saunders that said “recognizes and applauds individuals, organizations and local businesses who work together to promote diversity initiatives and work to improve the well-being of persons.”

Yagnik was born and raised in India before coming to the University to complete a masters degree in Media and Communication.

Saunders said that ever since, he has been educating and advocating for diversity.

Some of the involvements that Yagnik participated in to receive this award was being a Not In Our Town outreach chair along with being a pannel member with the organization, volunteering for Citizens On Patrol, attending and speaking at Bowling Green’s Interfaith breakfast, volunteering to spend time with the Presbretryian Church Youth Group and partnering with the Women’s Center to provide sanitary products to women with lower economic status.

Yagnik is leaving Bowling Green to work at Pennsylvania State University.

“He will be remember with gratitude,” Saunders said.

In closing remarks, Yagnik explained that Bowling Green made him the person he was today. “I am a pretty ordinary person,” he said. “If there is something special or extrodinary, it’s here.”

Mayor Edwards also recognized Maria Bressler, Jill Carr and John Fawcett for their years of service to the community and to celebrate their upcoming retirement.

Maria Bressler was honored with a certificate of appreciation for her work in the public school system as a crossing guard for Kenwood Elementary. Bressler is retiring after 13 years of service.

Jill Carr will be retiring after 38 years of service to the Student Affairs chair for the University.

John Fawcett will be retiring after 33 years of service as the Municipal Administrator for the city of Bowling Green.

Executive director Barabara Ruland asked for volunteers with the Classics on Main Car Show. To learn more about volunteer work or to get involved, please call 419-354-4332 or email at [email protected].