Falcons snap winning streak in Detroit

Senior Guard David Joseph runs the offense in a game earlier this season.

The Bowling Green Men’s basketball team snapped their six game win streak on Saturday with a road loss to the Detroit Titans 95-80.

Senior Forward Spencer Parker, who is a Detroit native, led the Falcons in the contest with a career high 33 points and 11 rebounds for his third double-double of the season.

Bowling Green had a solid offensive night, shooting 44.1 percent from the field and hitting six of their eight three point attempts in the second half. However, the Titans were still able to keep the upper hand in the shooting category for the majority of the game, shooting 47.1 percent from the floor and 43.3 from three. The Titans hit 13 shots from long range.

“I didn’t like the defensive effort,” Head Coach Michael Huger. “I thought we could have done a much better job in our help coverages and rebounding. I didn’t like the way we rebounded tonight. They pushed us around and they were able to get what they wanted to on the offensive boards.”

The Titans grabbed 14 offensive boards in the game and 14 second chance points. They also grabbed 27 defensive boards which they were able to convert into 11 points on the fast break.

The Falcons also left a lot of opportunities at the line, attempting 35 free throws and hitting only 21 of them at 60 percent.

Despite the Detroit advantage on the stat sheet, the Falcons kept the game tightly contested throughout with four lead changes total.

“There were definitely a lot of momentum changes. Our guys played hard,” Huger said. “We were able to settle down a little bit and play hard and get back into the game within two or three points. We thought we had the momentum going in but they were able to make some big shots to change the momentum back in their favor.”

Freshman Forward Rasheed Worrell finished behind Parker in the game, scoring a career high 16 points along with four boards. Junior Guard Wes Alcegaire had nine points and five rebounds.

Despite the loss, the team looks at the contest as a learning experience.

“There’s not much to correct,” Huger said. “We’re getting closer to where I want to be, though we’re not there yet. That’s the biggest thing. Each game has prepared us to get closer. It was a small step back tonight, but we’ve been getting closer in our understanding of where we need to be on the defensive end.

Going into winter break, the Falcons sit at 7-3 overall. They have scored 72 points or more in all of their last seven games and the 80 against Detroit was the second most of the season. The 95 scored by the Titans is also the most they have given up to an opponent this year.

Bowling Green’s next game will be against Wright State on Dec. 20 in Dayton.