November 30, 2023

• Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]
  • Found Family Books for the Holidays
    The holidays are quickly approaching and for some of us that means seeing our family. However, family has a loose definition. It could mean blood or who you were raised with. It could also mean people you’ve found during your life journey. Either way, the holidays are meant for spending quality time with those you […]

Organization offers political alternative to students

When partaking in political discourse, two sides are generally taken: conservative and liberal. However, these two sides are hardly the only representatives of political ideologies. There is one side that seems to be too often forgotten — the libertarians.

We libertarians consider ourselves part of the vast, diabolical conspiracy to take over control of the government — and then leave you alone!

How are we different? Well, we’re definitely not those war-hawks in the Republican party that want to continue policing the world at taxpayer expense. We’re also not the type that wants to control your personal (and sexual) lives.

On the other side, we’re certainly not fond of high taxes for anyone. Just the same, we don’t care too much for government intervention in the economy at all. You could say that we’re the capitalist pigs your professor keeps mumbling about.

But why focus on what we aren’t when we can tell you what we are? First of all, we advocate a principle called self-ownership. Essentially, this means you own your own body and can do what you want with it.

To quote our favorite libertarian TV personality, Ron Swanson (Parks and Recreation), “If you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 600 pounds, and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so!” Libertarians believe that everyone should be able to live their lives in their own ways; hard to argue with that right?

This is relevant in the current marriage debate. In regards to non-heterosexual marriage, our general stance is, “Who cares?!” The state should not have the authority to dictate what occurs between two (or more) consenting adults. Some of us may not play for that team, but we can still root for it. Besides, Kim Kardashian has done much more to ruin the sanctity of marriage than any other couple.

We also endorse something called the non-aggression principle. In this context, we define aggression as initiating or threatening violence against a person or legitimately owned property of another. In other words, you can’t come at me, bro.

You could call us the hippies that want world peace, or you could call us the patriots that dare to say no to war. If you grabbed a bunch of college students from around the world and threw them into a room together, we would probably start dancing to techno-pop or something. The government persuades us to hate each other based on religion, ethnicity, or social class and asks us to die in battle for them. No thanks; we’d rather dance.

If you’re into this sort of thing, a group of us started an organization on campus. We’ll be giving a more in-depth (and more entertaining) look into the libertarian philosophy at our first meeting at 9 p.m. March 22 in 225 Olscamp Hall.

Of course, no meeting is complete without free pizza! Even if you hate us, come tell us why, and we promise to still share the pizza. We’re non-aggressive like that.

Whether you’re a scholar familiar with the works of Mises, Rothbard, and Hayek, or this just sounds like a good time and you’d like to learn more, we would love to meet you. We can learn from you and you can learn from us. It’s like voluntary exchange.

Respond to the BGSU Young Americans for Liberty at