UPDATE: Details from I-75 crash released by highway patrol

UPDATE (posted 12:15 p.m. March 2):

The Bowling Green Post of highway patrol received the call of a wrong-way driver on Interstate-75 at approximately 2:15 a.m. Troopers attempted to locate the 1999 Plymouth Breeze traveling southbound in the northbound lanes, according to a press release from the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

The vehicle of the BGSU students, a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, was struck head-on. As a result of the crash, the southbound car became engulfed in flames.

The driver of the southbound vehicle, Winifred D. Lein, 69, of Perrysburg, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sophomore Christina Goyett was driving the northbound vehicle with four other BGSU students: freshman Angelica Mormile was in the front passenger seat, sophomore Kayla Somoles was in the right rear seat, junior Rebekah Blakkolb was in the rear middle and junior Sarah Hammond was in the left rear.

Blakkolb was transported to University of Toledo Medical Center where she later died as a result of her injuries. Goyett and Hammond died at the scene of the crash. Mormile and Somoles both received incapacitating injuries and were transported to St. Vincent Hospital in Toledo where they are being treated.

Goyett, Mormile and the driver of the southbound vehicle were wearing their safety belts in the front seats at the time of the crash. Blakkolb and Somoles were not wearing safety belts and it is unknown if Hammond was wearing a safety belt at the time of the crash.

The crash remains under investigation at this time.

UPDATE (posted 11:15 a.m. March 2):

BGSU has confirmed the names of three students who died in a car crash early this morning.

• Junior Rebekah Blakkolb, 20, of Aurora, Ohio
  • Sophomore Christina Goyett, 19, of Bay City, Mich.
  • Junior Sarah Hammond, 21, of Yellow Springs, Ohio

All three were students in the College of Education and Human Development and residents of the Alpha Xi Delta House on campus.

Two students were injured and transported to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo.

• Freshman Angelica Mormile,19, of Garfield Heights, Ohio in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Sophomore Kayla Somoles, 19, Cleveland in the College of Education and Human Development

Mormile is a resident in Centennial Hall and a member of Alpha Xi Delta. Somoles is a resident in the Alpha Xi Delta house.

Below posted: Friday, March 2, 2012 10:13 am

Three BGSU sorority sisters dead in I-75 crash Friday morning

Three BGSU students died today in an automobile accident involving five BGSU students total.

The crash occurred at about 2:15 a.m. when a vehicle driving south on northbound Interstate 75 collided with another vehicle, according to state highway patrol. It occurred just south of state Route 582 and the accident was unavoidable for the northbound vehicle.

The students in the northbound vehicle were on their way to the Metro Detroit Airport for a Spring Break trip, said University Spokesperson Dave Kielmeyer. Spring Break officially starts after classes end today.

All of the students were members of Alpha Xi Delta sorority, Kielmeyer said.

Three of the women died on the scene. Two have been transported to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo and their condition is unknown.

The students’ names will not be released until it is certain the appropriate family members have been notified, Kielmeyer said. Updates will continue to be available throughout the day.

The University is working with state highway patrol and hospital officials to provide any information they can to assist in reaching the families, Kielmeyer said.

The University was notified of the crash approximately 45 minutes to an hour after it occurred, he said. It released a Campus Update via email notifying students of the crash a little after 8 a.m. today.

Northbound lanes were closed for hours this morning as emergency crews responded and cleared the scene.

Responders to the scene included Bowling Green Fire Division and Emergency Medical Services, Middleton Fire Division and EMS, the Wood County Sheriff’s Department, Ohio Deparment of Transportation and the Wood County Coroner, according to state highway patrol.

“This is a tragic day for the University,” the Campus Update read. “Our hearts go out with sympathy and solace to the families and friends of these young women.”