Playstation 3 most aniticipated of 2012

Even though we’re already three months into the year, it’s not too late to make my top five picks for the most anticipated Playstation 3 games of 2012.

This year has already seen some great Playstation 3 games like Twisted Metal, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 — despite all of its controversy.

It’s also seen some not so great games like Ninja Gaiden 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Silent Hill: Downpour.

But there’s still a lot of 2012 to go, and while we’ll ultimately get some more bad games. Here are five titles I think will do big things in 2012.

1. “Tomb Raider”

Developer: Crystal Dynamics

Release Date: Fall 2012

While I can remember briefly playing the original “Tomb Raider,” and the numerous sequels that followed it, I can truthfully say I’ve never actually finished a “Tomb Raider” game. Thanks to developer Crystal Dynamics, I’ll finally get that opportunity, along with a fresh start to one of the most beloved female characters in gaming.

Laura Croft’s journey this time around is a dirty, gritty, bloody one that will push her to her absolute limits after being stranded on an unfamiliar island. “Tomb Raider” looks to be a fantastic game to play and I can’t wait to experience Laura Croft’s journey for myself this fall.

2. “Transformers: Fall of Cybertron”

Developer: High Moon Studios

Release Date: August 28, 2012

I’ve got to admit I’m really excited for “Fall of Cybertron.” The follow up to 2010’s “War for Cybertron,” “Fall of Cybertron” follows the autobots as they battle the evil decepticons in an attempt to flee their home world of Cybertron.

While “War for Cybertron” received good review scores from places like IGN.com, 1UP.com and Game Informer, the game didn’t sell as well as expected.

“War for Cybertron” featured stunning visuals and an amazing story, but some of the controls could be frustrating at times. It was one of the best games I played in 2010 and one that I still find myself revisiting from time to time. With “Transformers: Fall of Cybertron” scheduled for release this August, I can’t wait to see what it has in store.

3. “Assassin’s Creed III”

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Annecy

Release Date: October 30, 2012

Fans of “Assassin’s Creed” have been waiting a long time for the third installment to the franchise after the release of “Assassin’s Creed 2” in 2009. While there have been two sequels to the second game, following the same main character, they were far from the quality of the second installment. This third installment follows a new assassin named Connor and is set in colonial America. While the motivations of the character aren’t clear just yet, expect the game to have the same amount of violence and climbing, tree climbing in this case, as we’ve seen in the past “Assassin’s Creed” games.

4. “Aliens: Colonial Marines”

Developer: Gearbox Software

Release Date: Fall 2012

James Cameron’s 1986 classic “Aliens” is one of my all-time favorite movies. It delivers the audience just the right amount of horror and action. So what better way to keep the spirit of the “Alien” franchise going than to release a blockbuster video game? “Colonial Marines” is set between “Aliens” and “Alien 3.” Staying in continuity with the films, the marines are responding to a distress call from the colony Hadley’s Hope. They don’t know what waits for them on the planet, but be assured when they get there it could be “…game over man, game over!”

SEGA has missed the mark on a lot of games lately, but if what I’ve seen from the screenshots and trailers for this game holds true, this could easily be one of the best games of the year.

5. “Bioshock Infinite”

Developer: Irrational Games

Release Date: October 16, 2012

What’s better than video games released on my birthday? Well, the release of “Bioshock Infinite” on my birthday would be pretty sweet, and by the looks of it, it will be. Due out October 16, “Bioshock Infinite” is a big change for the franchise fans have come to know and love. “Bioshock” and “Bioshock 2” both took place in the underwater city of Rapture, but this time around, the story takes to the skies in the floating city of Columbia. Players play as, “…former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, who is sent to Columbia to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned there since childhood.” Expect the same strange, deformed characters and compelling story that made “Bioshock” an instant classic with “Bioshock Infinite.”

Respond in the comments section below or tweet @The_BG_News and tell us what game your most anticipating this year.