Student found dead in 2nd Street apartment

Witnesses are escorted to a nearby police vehicle after hearing about the death of freshman Kayleigh Chambers Thursday evening. Chambers was found dead by police in her Second Street apartment.

Freshman Kayleigh Chambers, 20, of Delta, Ohio, was found dead in her Second Street apartment Thursday.

The Bowling Green Police Division responded to the scene after receiving a request at 4:36 p.m. Thursday to check Chambers’ welfare at 602 Second St., according to a press release from the division.

The complainant, an acquaintance of Chambers, indicated that during phone contact with her, Chambers threatened to harm herself and suggested she was in possession of a shotgun, according to the release.

Kasey Ellis, a nearby resident, said that police arrived and began closing off streets around the apartment.

“I saw the commotion so I came outside and saw what was going on,” Ellis said. “We knew it was serious when we saw the SWAT teams.”

The Bowling Green Police Division crisis team personnel set perimeter at the scene and tried to negotiate with Chambers via a throw phone and public address system, but there was no response, according to the release.

“They were saying…’we’re going to break some windows but don’t be scared,’” Ellis said.

While the crisis team continued attempts at negotiations, the Special Response Team prepared for a forced entry, said Administrative Lt. Brad Biller. The Special Response Team is more tactically oriented for crisis situations, he said.

A neighbor of the apartment, Tim Murphy, said he arrived home around 6:45 p.m. and witnessed over a dozen SWAT officers in the area. He watched as crisis personnel tried repeatedly to contact her.

No activity was witnessed within the apartment to indicate whether or not it was occupied, according to the release. Over two hours after the initial call, the Special Response Team moved in at approximately 6:50 p.m.

The team found a woman, believed to be Chambers, deceased.

A crowd of people gathered outside the apartment complex as the situation progressed.

“[The] protocols in place were followed,” Biller said, adding that law enforcement carried out their duties professionally.

Murphy, who was in close proximity to the aftermath, agreed.

“The police, you know, they did a good job,” Murphy said. “They had a handle on [the situation].”

“I know this is a difficult time for the University community,” said Mary Ellen Mazey in an email to students. “Our thoughts are with Kayleigh’s family and friends.”

Mazey reminded students that counselors are available on campus and calls can be made this evening to the Link at 419-352-1545. The Counseling Center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and can be reached at 419-372-2081.

Police are continuing to work with the Wood County Coroner’s Office to investigate the incident, Biller said.

Editor’s note: Managing Editor Alissa Widman contributed to this story.